subtleoverlord

7+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2010
Status
When optometry schools say you have to take "psychology" courses, do they take that super technically? I am a cognitive science major and though I have never taken a "psychology" class, I have taken a lot cogsci courses with a lot of overlap. (For those who don't know, cognitive science is the study of intelligence and mind using interdisciplinary fields such as psychology, computer science, neuroscience, and much more) Would upper division classes such as "sensation and perception" and "learning, attention, and memory" fulfill the psychology prerequisite at optometry schools?

DawgOD

SCO C/o 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Status
Optometry Student
we unfortunately have no idea... but the schools u are interested in do. Check with them.

Dec 15, 2009
Status
Optometry Student
Yeah, definitely check with the schools that you want to apply to. If they are unsure, they will probably ask you to send them a course description or syllabus so that they can decide whether or not it "counts" as psychology. My guess is that they will accept it. They accepted a class of mine titled "Freshman Seminar" as an English class because the course description said that it focused on writing and speaking skills.

Mewcakes

SCO c/o 2014
Feb 10, 2010
Mewing at cakes
Status
Optometry Student
I agree with Rinny. They took classes for me that didn't have Biochemistry anywhere in the names, but they read the descriptions and said "yep, that's good". And at least Psychology is one of those classes you can easily take online etc. So at least you're not totally screwed. :p