Technology Replacing iBook batteries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meliora27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an iBook G4 and my battery is finally shot. For a while it would only hold a charge for about 25 minutes before having to be put back on the charger and now the batter display only displays 99%, 1% or 0% depending on my computer's mood, there seems to be no demarcation b/w the three and the number doesn't change, my computer will just turn off w/o warning so here I am tethered to a charger. I really don't feel like paying "Apple" prices for a replacement battery. Has anyone purchased a third-party replacement battery for a mac laptop? Do you mind sharing where you got it/what brand. I did a Google search and found tons of results but wanted to see if anyone knew if some batteries are better than others. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have an iBook G4 and my battery is finally shot. For a while it would only hold a charge for about 25 minutes before having to be put back on the charger and now the batter display only displays 99%, 1% or 0% depending on my computer's mood, there seems to be no demarcation b/w the three and the number doesn't change, my computer will just turn off w/o warning so here I am tethered to a charger. I really don't feel like paying "Apple" prices for a replacement battery. Has anyone purchased a third-party replacement battery for a mac laptop? Do you mind sharing where you got it/what brand. I did a Google search and found tons of results but wanted to see if anyone knew if some batteries are better than others. Thanks!

how long have you had your ibook? i have an ibook G4 that will be 2 years old in may.

Almost 3 yrs old, I got in some time in the spring of 2005. I bought the extended warranty but I'm pretty sure that the battery is not included, my sister and a similar problem and she had to just get a new battery as it wasn't covered.

Members don't see this ad :)
Replacing that battery to the AirBook is easy.....put your AirBook on Ebay and buy a pc....

my battery is also dying. can anyone recommend a 3rd party company to buy from?

Don't get a 3rd party battery, they are generally questionable in quality because of the significant counterfeiting problem. If you're dead set on a non-Apple battery the only "3rd party battery" you would want to try is from the ODM that made them for Apple, but it's still risky because ODM's generally don't sell directly to the public so you would have to trust that the retailer you are buying from has an uncompromised supply chain, and most don't care that much. If you want to risk your computer and the potential fire/explosion, go for it, otherwise, stay away.