Replacing LOR after it has been downloaded by a program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captopril

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a thread on this, but it's from 2005, so thought I'd ask again:

I uploaded 4 LORs and applied yesterday. Most of the programs I applied to have downloaded my entire application, including all 4 LORs.

Today I see that an updated LOR (from one of the letter-writers of the original 4) is available in the ERAS PostOffice.

Is it frowned upon by PDs if I deselect the old LOR and replace it with the new one? I know this wouldn't be an issue if programs hadn't downloaded my app yet, but I want to know how doing this would affect my app now that most programs have it on their systems.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If this is one of your prior 4 letters that had a new version uploaded, it will automatically replace the old letter (I think). You don't need to do anything.

If this is a new letter (i.e. your 5th) and you want it to go to programs, you can't.

On a related note:

Say I have 2 letters and am waiting on the 3rd. Can I submit the 2 letters to a program and then submit the third afterwards? I guess there is also the option to attach a letter before it is received to a program, any advantage to doing this?

Yes, and no.

Yes you can apply with only 2 letters and see what happens.

No, there is no advantage to either attaching a letter that isn't uploaded yet, or attaching it once it becomes available.