Oct 6, 2012
Status
Medical Student
so if you guys send "thank you letters/letters of interest" to programs after your interviews and they respond positively, and they finish the response back with something like "let me know if you have any questions, etc."

do you guys reply back to the 2nd correspondence or just leave it as is?

would you ask more questions?
is this a way for the program to try to create an opening for you to tell them that you will be ranking them number 1?
can 'questions' include "what number am i being ranked?" or "is there anything else i can do to guarantee a match at your program?" or "where do I sign?"

cause i don't really know what else to ask, most of my questions were answered during the interview, and i already expressed how much i like the program and would love to work there this coming year.
i don't understand any of the logistics behind emails and communication.

Mar 18, 2012
Detroit
Status
The 'let me know if you have any questions' is a BS comment. It doesn't mean anything besides making the program people sound open and receptive etc. It has nothing to do with ranking or giving you an opportunity to tell them about ranking. If you want to tell them about ranking, then do so at your convenience. Think of yourself as another patient that the attending (also PD) sees in clinic. With patients he wants to optimize their management, with residents his priority is to optimize his program and that's that.
Don't fret about the emails. When I get a response, I just write a one line response thanking them. Send the no. 1 email right about now if you haven't sent it earlier. Programs are submitting their rank lists. Keep it short and to the point.
Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
A
Oct 6, 2012
Status
Medical Student
ok good so then they're not expecting you to say anything then

Mar 18, 2012
Detroit
Status
Also, asking questions like, 'where am I ranked' will most likely not get you a reply. Asking, 'What can I do to improve my chances' at this stage of the game only means 'Please, please take me', because there isn't anything that you can do to improve your chances right now besides, maybe, promising to marry the PD's morbidly obese son/daughter (depending upon your gender and which way you swing). 'Where do I sign' said in person, face-to-face, with a laugh, is a great idea. The same said in an email, to a PD, is a very bad idea. You'd most likely show desperation and that will go against you. You can tell them in two sentences that you loved the program and people you met there and you will be ranking them no. 1 and look forward to the match, without trying to solicit ranking information from them (which will be a match violation), is probably the best idea.

Dral

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
Dermatomicroscope
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah, it means exactly what it says. If you do have questions (legitimate), ask. If you have none, no need to respond.

This should not change your rank with the program.

It's amazing how this whole process makes medical students so neurotic about every little thing. I obsessed about the same sorts of things I'm sure. I'm glad that phase of my life is finished. heh.

OP
A
Oct 6, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Also, asking questions like, 'where am I ranked' will most likely not get you a reply. Asking, 'What can I do to improve my chances' at this stage of the game only means 'Please, please take me', because there isn't anything that you can do to improve your chances right now besides, maybe, promising to marry the PD's morbidly obese son/daughter (depending upon your gender and which way you swing). 'Where do I sign' said in person, face-to-face, with a laugh, is a great idea. The same said in an email, to a PD, is a very bad idea. You'd most likely show desperation and that will go against you. You can tell them in two sentences that you loved the program and people you met there and you will be ranking them no. 1 and look forward to the match, without trying to solicit ranking information from them (which will be a match violation), is probably the best idea.

i was mostly joking. i guess a better question wouldve been "whose **** do i have to **** to get in your program?"

Mar 18, 2012
Detroit
Status
i was mostly joking. i guess a better question wouldve been "whose **** do i have to **** to get in your program?"
Yeah, I had a strong urge to ask this question when at the end of interviews they ask, 'Do you have any questions for me?' Had to refrain from asking that for HR-related reasons. :idea:

crazyhands

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
You are not kidding. It actually happened to someone I know (a resident who was doing interviews)..:eek:

Oct 4, 2012
New York
Status
Medical Student
On a similar note. What if a program called you and left a voice mail saying something like "Hi, just wondering how your 4th year is going. If you have any questions for us, feel free to call us back." Now should I call them back if I don't really have any questions? It was a resident that called.

JacobMcCandles

7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
On a similar note. What if a program called you and left a voice mail saying something like "Hi, just wondering how your 4th year is going. If you have any questions for us, feel free to call us back." Now should I call them back if I don't really have any questions? It was a resident that called.
If you have legitimate questions, call.

If you do not have legitimate questions, do not call.

You don't need to call them to specifically tell them how your 4th year is going...unless you like awkward conversations.