Replying to Interview Invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrgoCoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope interview invites are going well for everyone. I've received a few invites and am wondering what the etiquette is on replying in ERAS to their "congratulations" email. I was thinking of sending a brief message to the sort of "thanks, looking forward to meeting you, learning about the program, etc". Do people do this usually or just let it ride?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you!
Hey...
Are you replying to the email in ERAS or to the program coordinator's email in a separate email.
Im confused because I just got an interview invite with dates to choose and to email them. Do I email them thru ERAS?

I would respond in the manner they request. If they sent the invite thru ERAS, then respond in ERAS, unless it is requested otherwise. I usually would send the invites thru ERAS, but requested that they responded to me directly. Other coordinators may wish to converse strictly thru ERAS.

However, if you send a response thru ERAS and don't get an acknowledgment, then reach out thru "normal" email. At times, the ERAS email system moves slow, (or not at all).

I would respond in the manner they request. If they sent the invite thru ERAS, then respond in ERAS, unless it is requested otherwise. I usually would send the invites thru ERAS, but requested that they responded to me directly. Other coordinators may wish to converse strictly thru ERAS.

However, if you send a response thru ERAS and don't get an acknowledgment, then reach out thru "normal" email. At times, the ERAS email system moves slow, (or not at all).
Off topic , but are you currently a PC? There was a great thread here called ask a program coordinator, was retired since the OP retired and no one was answering questions... if you are interested in reviving that thread, please let the mods know...it was quite helpful for applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
I had not realized that the thread was retired. I know that there was quite a bit of helpful advice in there (and I contributed a little to it) :p I will see if I can help.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello! If I receive an invitation through a broker (Thalamus), should I send a thank-you note by e-mail? To the PD or program coordinator or both? thanks!

Hello! If I receive an invitation through a broker (Thalamus), should I send a thank-you note by e-mail? To the PD or program coordinator or both? thanks!
Wondering the same. I have a couple invites via thalamus and broker as well and have not contacted these programs.

I apologize, I have not used one of the brokers before, and I have been trying to find someone who has, to find out what it looks like from our end. :) However, I have not found anyone yet; everybody here just uses the ERAS scheduler. Personally, I do appreciate an acknowledgement that you received the invitation, and that you are going to be able to come. If you can express this in your response on the broker apps, that is fine; otherwise, I would reach out with an email.

Reactions: 1 user
I apologize, I have not used one of the brokers before, and I have been trying to find someone who has, to find out what it looks like from our end. :) However, I have not found anyone yet; everybody here just uses the ERAS scheduler. Personally, I do appreciate an acknowledgement that you received the invitation, and that you are going to be able to come. If you can express this in your response on the broker apps, that is fine; otherwise, I would reach out with an email.
Thank you!

If a program is using a tool to send interview invites (Thalamus, Interview Broker, the ERAS Scheduler), they're probably doing so to proactively and intentionally cut down on the number of emails they receive. While it doesn't hurt to send a TY via email, I'd reserve email for when you have a specific follow up question, and use whatever medium they used to contact you for the bulk of your communication. I actually like the specific emails, but it does get annoying to have to sift through hundreds of generic inquiries and TY emails.

If a program is using a tool to send interview invites (Thalamus, Interview Broker, the ERAS Scheduler), they're probably doing so to proactively and intentionally cut down on the number of emails they receive. While it doesn't hurt to send a TY via email, I'd reserve email for when you have a specific follow up question, and use whatever medium they used to contact you for the bulk of your communication. I actually like the specific emails, but it does get annoying to have to sift through hundreds of generic inquiries and TY emails.
Understandable. I suppose it depends who is on the other side of the screen :)