Reported hours mistake AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikeponies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I submitted my AMCAS application on the day it opened and was verified by the end of June. Despite lots of proofreading, I realized I made a stupid mistake when reporting my hours for the Work & Actvities section. For my most recent position, I put the number of hours I currently had at the time... not expected by matriculation. I did it correctly last year (I'm a re-applicant), so I think I just got mixed up when I was re-inputting the information from last year. And I literally just realized this today. Unfortunately this is a huge discrepancy, as I reported 2,144 hours (a year's work of full-time worth) when I will actually have closer to 4,360 hours (a bit over two years' worth of full-time work). The date range is correct (July 2013 - August 2015), but the hours make it seem like it was part-time when it was really full-time work. I listed it as a "most meaningful" but, unfortunately, didn't mention "full-time" anywhere there, nor in my personal statement.

I have a feeling there isn't anything I can do except make the correction in my remaining secondary applications when I have the space. I'm just so annoyed because I usually take extreme care to not make mistakes, and this is a pretty significant one. I don't think calling AMCAS will solve anything, but was just wondering if anyone else experienced something similar and what (if anything) I could do to remedy it.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

There is nothing you can do about it beyond what you're already doing. If you're asked about it, definitely point out the error. Without knowing more information it's difficult to say, but I'm not sure this is something you want to hound schools about and attempt to correct.

Thanks, yeah that's what I figured. :/ It's one of the biggest additions/updates to my application so that's why I'm so annoyed/ concerned about it - it's clinical research employment at a major hospital.

VCU, for instance, asked for addtional qualifications since prior application, so I put the number of current hours I had then said how many I expected by matriculation followed by "(mistake in AMCAS)". For the other secondaries I was planning to say something more like "two years of full-time clinical research employment at __" when asked for current activities and whatnot.