Reposting this in DO forum instead of the other Please help me decide between BCOM or ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danny16

Reaction score
I have 3 days to choose between BCOM and ATSU SOMA which should I pick?

SOMA

Pros
1.Older school/ reputation/ name

2.Consistent match rate and comlex scores

3.I am from Phoenix AZ so the first year will be
familiar environment

4.Probably more established faculty( can’t confirm)

Cons

1.During years 2-4 we are sent to Community health centers elsewhere in the country for rotations but they are assigned before your first year starts and I would be matriculating late, so all the good rotation sites that I would want are gone.

2. Less structure that BCOM/ more independent learning

3. Online didactic learning during second year

4. Only 3 fourth year away rotations

BCOM

Pros

1.More structured curriculum

2.good rotation sites in southwest areas that I would be happy at

3.Dedicated residencies including a orthopedic surgery one with 3 spots that I would be interested in

4.Benefits of New Mexico State University affliation including amenities, resources, and research

5.Good first match spots for class of 2020

6.away fourth year rotations for whole year

7.Medical spanish( big interest of mine)

8.Sense of getting away from home a little bit(adventure)

9. Better weather

Cons

1.Newer less known program /less reputation

2.For profit

3.Lower comlex score

4.Higher attrition( can’t confirm this)

5.More faculty moving in and out( can’t confirm)

What do you think I should do???

Members don't see this ad.

SOMA. BCOM has issues
Hi Goro, thanks for your response since I posted this thread, I was actually leaning towards BCOM because all the good rotation spots at SOMA are gone and the remaining location is way less than ideal! Should I still choose SOMA? What are the problems with BCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed and was accepted to both. I would say soma even though it is a little more pricy. Get on a waitlist for a different CHC ASAP and find one that you won't hate. If you totally don't feel comfortable with any left CHC's I would lean towards BCOM when I interviewed at BCOM there were talks about them losing their El Paso rotations, they resolved it but to my understanding, it was a very close call.

I interviewed and was accepted to both. I would say soma even though it is a little more pricy. Get on a waitlist for a different CHC ASAP and find one that you won't hate. If you totally don't feel comfortable with any left CHC's I would lean towards BCOM when I interviewed at BCOM there were talks about them losing their El Paso rotations, they resolved it but to my understanding, it was a very close call.
The only rotation sites are parts of the country I really wouldn’t want to go to. I can’t get on the waitlist without paying the deposit, and I can’t hold a deposit at two schools this late in the cycle I think. I have like 4 hours before the SOMA offers expires. I am really unsure now what to do?

why would BCOM almost lose their El Paso rotations?

Also Price isn’t really the consideration for me it really just comes down to the school itself. I liked the vibe at BCOM more, but I don’t want to be shooting my self in the foot, and all the good rotations are gone at AT Still at this point and even if I got on a waitlist I would be at the absolute bottom would I even have a chance from risk perspective?

Something about the Texas medical schools funding texas sites so they do not want any non-texas students at hospitals in Texas, they worked out the issue but they were in limbo for a good 4 months so it could happen again

I would probably choose to rotate in my home state of Arizona or in New Mexico anyway if I had the choice, based on that would Texas rotation thing matter? Does that change whether I should go there or not?

not really just wanted to mention that although they have good rotation sites things can change. Its totally going to be up to you what to choose if you feel BCOM is a better fit then do it.

Yeah this is a tough decision, if it won’t affect me negatively to choose BCOM, if AT Still doesn’t have a significant advantage to going then I would just choose BCOM, but if AT STILL is better academically then I would choose the better option regardless of my feelings of the vibe