Reproduction Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hugh Mannity

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In Campbell Bio it says human eggs are arrested at metaphase II but Schaums says they are arrested in prophase I, which is it? What's with the conflicting theories all the time? It really is stupid then that depending on what source you study from can determine your performance even if you can recite it perfectly.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I found it, although wiki isn't always the best source. It seems that they are arrested at BOTH times just at different developmental stages. Wiki says that it arrests at pro I until puberty, then meta II until AFTER fertilization. I just thought I would answer this for anyone who may also be interested.

In Campbell Bio it says human eggs are arrested at metaphase II but Schaums says they are arrested in prophase I, which is it? What's with the conflicting theories all the time? It really is stupid then that depending on what source you study from can determine your performance even if you can recite it perfectly.

Prophase I- primary oocytes

Metaphase II - secondary oocytes