Mar 21, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello, I am planning to do a DIY post-bacc to finish up my pre-reqs for med school. I know I can take them at my alma mater, but I know the school well and they deflate grades like crazy (they are kinda proud if it). So I was looking into taking it at another school where I can pay in-state tuition. However, most of the schools that are in that group are not the most "prestigious" schools out there. They are still 4-year colleges, but just not as reputable compared to my alma mater.

I don't mean to sound cocky. I am just worried since med schools are very selective, I was wondering if taking my pre-reqs at a "less reputable" school would hurt my chances/application?

Thanks in advance!

samc

PGY-2
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2010
Boston, MA
beckse.googlepages.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I don't think it will matter. I did my undergrad at Yale and my postbac at City College of New York. CCNY actually has serious stuff going on in the sciences, but I don't think anyone outside the five boroughs of NYC knows or cares about this.

Reactions: 1 user

drgoldenboy

5+ Year Member
May 15, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I also don't think it matters much. Just do well on the MCAT. Save the money. I took post-bacc courses at extension school and community colleges, but went to a good NESCAC school, and I got into a few US MD programs.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.