Reputation of DIY Post-bacc School

Started by jyy3gx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jyy3gx

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am planning to do a DIY post-bacc to finish up my pre-reqs for med school. I know I can take them at my alma mater, but I know the school well and they deflate grades like crazy (they are kinda proud if it). So I was looking into taking it at another school where I can pay in-state tuition. However, most of the schools that are in that group are not the most "prestigious" schools out there. They are still 4-year colleges, but just not as reputable compared to my alma mater.

I don't mean to sound cocky. I am just worried since med schools are very selective, I was wondering if taking my pre-reqs at a "less reputable" school would hurt my chances/application?

Thanks in advance!
 
I don't think it will matter. I did my undergrad at Yale and my postbac at City College of New York. CCNY actually has serious stuff going on in the sciences, but I don't think anyone outside the five boroughs of NYC knows or cares about this.
 
I also don't think it matters much. Just do well on the MCAT. Save the money. I took post-bacc courses at extension school and community colleges, but went to a good NESCAC school, and I got into a few US MD programs.