reputation of grad school important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almond

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the reputation of a grad school matter if I am just using the master's degree as a stepping stone to med school? Or are the grades I get during grad school the most important thing? Have there been any instances of a med school "nulling" the master's degree simply because the school isn't known for research or is not reputable?

Members don't see this ad.

Previous applicants I have known or have been in contact with received their graduate degrees from some top schools. One with a Ph.D. from UC Berkeley in Biophysics got into U Michigan, one with a Ph.D. from Wayne State got into Wayne State, five with Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins Medical, and 2 of them got into Johns Hopkins Med, one got into Einstein and two got into U Maryland and Boston U, and one with Ph.D. from Duke got into Duke. This trend seemed to recur... I think the reputation matters somewhat... But again those people didn't get straight "A" in their graduate courses either, those top schools tend to give a whole bunch of B and B- in their Ph.D. required courses since it is the schools' goal to encourage research but not straight A. Students are told simply "pass" the courses so that they may carry on with research, and that is the reason those top grad school tried to deflat grades to discourage too much time spent on study. So when the top Ph.D. dudes apply for med school, they better have publications to back themselves up. But with a less known grad school, such problem may not occur, which should give you a better GPA.

Man, people ask alot of obvious questions on these threads. Of course a masters degree from Harvard or M.I.T. will be looked upon more favorably than one from Oklahoma State. Yes, your grades do matter as they indicate your performance as a student. Seems like the answer to this question only requires some basic reasoning. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if my question seemed obvious to you. I was just trying to find out if getting a masters from an unknown university would help at all or if I would be wasting my time. And I know that better grades would be looked on more favorably. That wasn't my question. I wanted to know if my getting good grades at the unknown university would "make up" for it.