Reputation of Some Midwest Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmoney

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm kind of lost here as to which schools I should apply to right now.

I have Creighton, Michigan, Ohio State. Can someone give me any insight on any of these schools? I don't know much about their academic reputation, research and clinical aspects, rigor. If anyone can shed some light that'll heat a great deal. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

cmoney said:

I have Creighton, Michigan, Ohio State. Can someone give me any insight on any of these schools? I don't know much about their academic reputation, research and clinical aspects, rigor. If anyone can shed some light that'll heat a great deal. Thanks in advance!
I do not attend Creighton, but the one thing I do know is they do not have any post doc programs. You might think that is a bad thing, but it actually, I think, makes you a better general dentist becuase you do not have an option to refer your difficult cases to a post-doc speaciality. Whatever walks in the door you have to treat.

FreshBreath said:
I do not attend Creighton, but the one thing I do know is they do not have any post doc programs. You might think that is a bad thing, but it actually, I think, makes you a better general dentist becuase you do not have an option to refer your difficult cases to a post-doc speaciality. Whatever walks in the door you have to treat.
Marquette is a great option with there brand new facilities and top notch labs/technology.

Members don't see this ad :)
My older sister goes to Michigan Dental. The program is great, the teachers are excellent and Michigan has a reputation for being a leader in most everything it does. They put a lot of emphasis on both the sciences and research as well as and the hands-on skills. Plus Ann Arbor is a great college town.

cmoney said:

mayoree said:
My older sister goes to Michigan Dental. The program is great, the teachers are excellent and Michigan has a reputation for being a leader in most everything it does. They put a lot of emphasis on both the sciences and research as well as and the hands-on skills. Plus Ann Arbor is a great college town.
I can second Michigan, my best friend is doing her peds residency there. Any yes they are top on a lot of professional programs (Med, Dental, Law, Business, etc...) And the campus is friendly and safe.

Marquette seems interesting. I'll definitely look into that. Any more info on how hard it would be for an out-of-state student to get in there?

And what is the deal with Ohio State?

I go to Michigan, if you have any specific questions about the school feel free to PM me anytime :)

cmoney said:
Marquette seems interesting. I'll definitely look into that. Any more info on how hard it would be for an out-of-state student to get in there?

I think it goes without saying that nobody chooses Ohio State if facilities rank high on their criteria for choosing a school. If you are, however, a non-resident and married to a spouse that can work full time, they give you instant residency. That, coupled with a very reasonable cost of living, makes it a decent financial choice. If you're not married, they give everyone residency after the first year, but they rake you over the coals that first year. It is fairly competitive for out-of-staters to get in. They take a maximum of 26 non-residents. For the class of 2009, 874 non-residents applied.

As for Ohio State or Michigan, you can't complain about the football. :thumbup: It comes around just in time...just as I begin to hate everything about dental school. I spend a Sat. afternoon in the Horseshoe, and I feel better about being at Ohio State.

cmoney said:

Eventhouh private, they take around 50-60% in state, since it is the ONLY dental school in wisconsin and gets state grants, hence the state wants dentists to be local so they can practice in the state, but there is really not too much discrimination as it would be for a state school or a med school in a similar senerio.
3 friends I know graduated from there recently, I will give you the low side of them, 3.3 and average around 20 on DATs however that exam works, heck one was indian (foriegner with no US citizenship and got in with a 3.8 , but had a 14 on his PAT and still got in, but yet again I do not know how much the fact that it was his alma mater for undergrad and how much that played in. But they did tend to be a little more picky ever since building their state of the art New Dental Building, oooo not to mention, they do love their alums, so any alums will be given special consideration--but not too much, its a Jesuit/Catholic thing I think.