Requesting advice from current grad students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetpeagurl28

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to apply to clinical programs either this December or the next. I have a unique situation in that I graduated college over six years ago and did not major in psychology. My GPA is a mere 3.0.

I've been involved in research for over 9 months now at an Ivy League school. My short-term goals are to:

Secure a full-time research position;
Complete my own research project;
Complete a few undergrad psych courses; and
to study for the GRE and hopefully score over a 1200.

I've already started selecting some schools I am interested in. My number one pick thus far is the University of New Mexico. There are professors there with nearly the exact same research interests as my own.

My largest obstacles are 1)finding a sponsor/mentor so I can do my own research project 2)knowing where to begin with a research project and 3)financially staying afloat until I secure a full-time position. Aside from that I do not have time to take the undergrad courses until I secure a f-t position. I really could use some advice. I would like to conduct research and either get published or present my work at a conference prior to applying to grad school. Due to the fact that I am a very non-traditional clinical phd aspirant is it even possible for me to get into a decent program?

Members don't see this ad.

I was very much in the same boat as you. I graduated college 5 years before I went back and took a lot of undergrad courses to get myself more qualified for a grad program - I was a Lit major back in the day. I work part-time, have done research in 3 professor's labs, volunteer on a suicide hotline and have taken most of the classes that I need. It's been tough - a lot of very late nights. I wish I could give you a happy ending to my story, and hope that I can, but I am applying this year so I'll let you know in a few months! My advice is to do whatever you can to get As in all of your classes, and to look for a professor at your new undergrad program for whom you can do research work if you can't find a research position. Volunteer, do anything. You also may want to consider a master's program if that'll get you closer to your goal.

I'm questioning what you mean by decent - do you mean top-10, or APA accredited, or one with a good reputation?

It looks like you're asking the right questions/have the right goals. The most important part of getting into clinical psych programs (at least research-oriented PhD programs) is a research match. It really helps if you've done some projects that relate to your purported interests, so trying to work on an individual project is great but any research you can do in that area will be helpful (and you really need to play them up in your personal statement, you need to sell it to your potential advisor). Secondarily, any research experience, no matter the exact subject, is critical and can put you in the running.

Your age per se shouldn't be an issue, but your relative lack of coursework in psychology may be a barrier - you really should try to take a few classes if possible or indicate that you will enroll in some before entering a program - if only to demonstrate your true and informed interest in psychology as a discipline. Psych majors aren't required at most programs but many do have a few recommended or mandatory classes. Also, any grades you can get that are recent to show that you can do better than a B average will be helpful - most people against whom you will be competing will have around a 3.5. Good GRE scores will help.

Hope this is helpful, good luck preparing.

Thanks for the advice! I really, really aprpeciate it! Psychbird, I wish you the best of luck! And please do let me know how you make out.

I just started another part-time research position for UPenn. Currently, I work on 2 different Penn projects that are related to my own research interests. I also may begin volunteering on a project at CHOP, working with adolescents with cancer. In fact, I am most interested in developing positive psychological interventions for cancer patients. Now, I have not done my own research project as of yet, which I am concerned about. I've been in touch with a professor who has nearly th exact research interests as my own. He encouraged me to apply next year and told me, "The other thing that could really help you this year would be to get a poster or paper accepted at a national conference to present or better yet a publication."

I just don't see this happening by the year's end. Any thoughts? Also, any thoughts on how adept I should be with research analysis prior to applying to programs - I have limited experience with SPSS?