Requesting an expedited application review for medical reasons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguinluvinman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already submitted the AMCAS app which was finally verified this week, and I am working on secondary apps (only finished one for my top school so far). Since I'm somewhat late in the process now (I blame my pre-health adviser....) I know it might be several weeks before mine gets reviewed and I can get any interview offers.
The problem is that I recently visited an orthopedist, and am in need of lateral ankle reconstruction surgery. Ideally I would like to get the surgery done right after my finals this semester and recover over Christmas break and hopefully be ready to attend class by next spring.

Would it be acceptable for me email the admissions office and explain the situation and request that they review my application in time for me to interview before the procedure if, of course, they choose to offer me an interview? I don't know how to go about asking without sounding like I just want special treatment or anything, but I REALLY don't want to have to wait until late Jan or Feb to interview and be at the very of the cycle. I also am not looking forward to a full day or orientation and tours and multiple interviews while hobbling around on crutches or a walking boot.
But I also don't want to do something that makes me stand out in a bad light from the get go. It's pretty unfortunate timing and I don't know what my best option is. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how to go about asking without sounding like I just want special treatment or anything, but I REALLY don't want to have to wait until late Jan or Feb to interview and be at the very of the cycle.

Sorry for your injury, but I think it's best to not bring it up. They'll review you when they review you- if you ask them for an expedited review I think you can expect an expedited rejection. Also, interviews go through March... January is not late at all. Relax

I've never heard of this being done, and you're being awfully presumptive to assume you'll merit an interview. So, sit back and take this one ont he chin. BTW, I've interviewed people who hobbled in on crutches. It's NOT a big deal.

I have already submitted the AMCAS app which was finally verified this week, and I am working on secondary apps (only finished one for my top school so far). Since I'm somewhat late in the process now (I blame my pre-health adviser....) I know it might be several weeks before mine gets reviewed and I can get any interview offers.
The problem is that I recently visited an orthopedist, and am in need of lateral ankle reconstruction surgery. Ideally I would like to get the surgery done right after my finals this semester and recover over Christmas break and hopefully be ready to attend class by next spring.

Would it be acceptable for me email the admissions office and explain the situation and request that they review my application in time for me to interview before the procedure if, of course, they choose to offer me an interview? I don't know how to go about asking without sounding like I just want special treatment or anything, but I REALLY don't want to have to wait until late Jan or Feb to interview and be at the very of the cycle. I also am not looking forward to a full day or orientation and tours and multiple interviews while hobbling around on crutches or a walking boot.
But I also don't want to do something that makes me stand out in a bad light from the get go. It's pretty unfortunate timing and I don't know what my best option is. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your injury is unfortunate, but it doesn't really explain to schools why you are submitting your secondary so late. And claiming that you were "poorly advised" makes it sound like you are incapable of taking control of the process (i.e. prewriting secondaries while awaiting verification and LORs). I am not trying to insult you and I apologize if it comes off that way, but professionally I think your story makes kind of a poor impression.

You can always write to the admissions office and let them know when your surgery is scheduled and thus you are unavailable to interview between date X and date Y, but are still very much interested in the school and would be grateful to interview at any other time. That way you let them deal with the scheduling, i.e. to decide whether they would rather bring you in beforehand or afterward. That way they understand your situation, but you don't sound as though you are requesting special favorable treatment. And that's crucial.

Many of those I have talked to who are in medical school, even top programs, did not interview at the school they are now attending until January, February, or even March. Earlier is always nicer, but if you are a strong applicant there should still be plenty of seats open for you in January at least.

Honestly, I received many IIs in September where the soonest I could schedule my interview was in Dec or Jan. So the chances of going from submitting secondaries, to being marked complete, to being reviewed, to being invited to interview, to scheduling the interview, and interviewing, between now and mid-December, is unrealistic at many schools (though not Ohio State, and a few others, I must say). Of course, spots are opening up now that people are withdrawing, but you get my point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I don't think your surgery is enough reason to make that request. How long do you expect to be recovering? It's not like you're going to be bed-bound for months.. in which case it would be a more reasonable request.

If you'll be able to walk in crutches while you recover, I don't think this merits any special accomodations.

Besides, many schools are now scheduling December interviews. By the time they review your application, you may be stuck with a Jan/Feb interview if that.

Seriously, please stop. No. Do not do this. No, no, no.

It reeks of entitlement and its gross.

Reactions: 1 user
no one told you to apply in october
deal with it

This! This is my main problem (although I took 4 paragraphs to say it). Writing your secondaries in October is not your advisor's fault, no matter how you slice it. Ultimately, the "rush review" you desire has little to do with your upcoming surgery.

Your injury is unfortunate, but it doesn't really explain to schools why you are submitting your secondary so late. And claiming that you were "poorly advised" makes it sound like you are incapable of taking control of the process (i.e. prewriting secondaries while awaiting verification and LORs). I am not trying to insult you and I apologize if it comes off that way, but professionally I think your story makes kind of a poor impression.

You can always write to the admissions office and let them know when your surgery is scheduled and thus you are unavailable to interview between date X and date Y, but are still very much interested in the school and would be grateful to interview at any other time. That way you let them deal with the scheduling, i.e. to decide whether they would rather bring you in beforehand or afterward. That way they understand your situation, but you don't sound as though you are requesting special favorable treatment. And that's crucial.
^ This is good advice. Your alternative is not to submit the secondaries, save all those fees which you will be essentially flushing down the toilet this late the cycle, and plan on submitting on day 1 next June with the secondaries all pre-written and ready to go as they arrive in your mail box next summer. You lose a year but you may lose a year anyway. Make plans now to do something productive (and/or profitable) during the gap year and save yourself the money and anxiety that would be going into this cycle.

no one told you to apply in october
deal with it

I had my part of AMCAS finished in July ready to submit, it was my pre-health advisor who had to cancel my meeting twice and refused to allow to submit before meeting (at the threat of not writing my letter at all) which ended up being Sept 6. I submitted that day, and I just got verified on Oct 29 and submitted the secondary the day after I got it. So you could be a little less of a judgmental jerk about something when you don't know the whole story.

I'm not even complaining about that fact, I'm just saying since that is the case, my injury came at a horrendously inconvenient time (curse my love of rugby) and was wondering if they might be understanding of that fact and work with me a little.

Thank you, that is a good idea. Once I get it scheduled in a couple weeks I will probably go this route and just see how it plays out. That is mainly what I was going for. Not trying to whine and demand they accommodate me like everyone else seems to think is my goal, just to make them aware and see if they can work with me a little.

I don't think your surgery is enough reason to make that request. How long do you expect to be recovering? It's not like you're going to be bed-bound for months.. in which case it would be a more reasonable request.

If you'll be able to walk in crutches while you recover, I don't think this merits any special accomodations.

The bigger issue is that I won't be able to drive for at least 4 weeks but more likely closer to 6. I have to be completely non weight bearing for the first 4 weeks, and then I'll start PT and see how it progresses, but by 6 weeks I should just be in a walking boot so from there it would be ok.

I had my part of AMCAS finished in July ready to submit, it was my pre-health advisor who had to cancel my meeting twice and refused to allow to submit before meeting (at the threat of not writing my letter at all) which ended up being Sept 6.

If your characterization of events is accurate, then this is a real problem that should be brought to the attention of higher ups at your college. If you made every effort and truly had no other options (changing to another adviser, virtual meeting instead of in person) and are prepared to rock the boat a little (and suffer the possible consequences), then you've got a legitimate beef.

Of course, it won't do YOU any good -- but might help your classmates --