Requesting to switch POIs after offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polarbearscafe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have received an offer from a clinical psychology PhD program in the US. However, my POI (person X) is no longer interested in continuing her previous research, an area that I am interested in. In our previous interactions X did not indicate this so I found out at the interview. I have listed X as my primary supervisor, but I have also applied with another faculty (person Y), who is conducting research that I find fascinating. Y has indicated that they are interested in collaborating with/co-supervising me should I attend that school. Is there any way to request or ask about changing POIs from X to Y due to research interest fit and what are the consequences? Who should I talk to first, X, Y or the DCT?

Thank you so much for your advice and I wish you the best in your graduate pursuits!

Members don't see this ad.

Wait until you have matriculated! It's an easy thing to rescind an offer. It's much more difficult to kick someone out.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. Also, wait until after your first year to ask about an official switch. Start working with person X and also start collaborations with person Y as soon as you can. Once you have an established relationship, then ask Person Y if there would be an option to officially switch. I've known people who have tried to switch advisors at the very beginning of their first year and it wasn't perceived well by the program.

The other thing is, just because Person X isn't doing that work any more doesn't mean YOU can't. If Person X is doing something slightly different (or even quite different), you'll likely learn valuable stuff from that other area, potentially stuff you can apply to your ultimate interests.

From what you said, it sounds like Person Y has actually brought up co-supervising. Do you know if Person Y has broached this with Person X? You could always start by asking a clarification question--is the offer of admission to work with Person X only, or to be co-supervised? It is possible they've talked about it already.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I am going to be the dissenting opinion. First of all, if a program pulls an offer from you before April 15th then it honestly isn't the type of program you want to be at. We had an applicant run us through the ringer: not reply to emails, make odd requests when they were responsive, and hold an offer past April 15th. We still didn't pull the offer, nor would we if it happened again.

Personally I think if you want a switch now is the time to bring it up. Don't have a professor waste a year of their time investing in training you for their lab if you don't plan on staying there, it isn't fair to the faculty member. Also, that faculty member may really need a student, and informing the program now may allow that faculty member to recruit a different student.

I agree with EmotRegulation that I would seek clarification on the current plan, but I would strongly consider at least talking with the DCT about the switch. Just my $.02, and keep in mind I am outnumbered so take it with a grain of salt.

I would not switch, probably.

First, the POI has probably changed focus for good reasons (old area was unfundable/going nowhere, new area is better/more fundable/more useful, etc.). I'd learn from that person--presumably the new area is not off-the-wall different from the old one (that would be weird, and might change my opinion on not switching).

Second, a professor saying that they'd be happy to work with you =/= agreeing to take you as a student. That professor may have already taken 1 or 2 students and may have really mean collaborate, not supervise. It is presumptuous to think that them saying they are willing to collaborate could mean they are at all willing to take you in their lab.

Unless you have another offer, and you'd take that over working with the original POI but not the new POI. In that case just ask to go work for the new POI and if the answer is no take the other offer.

First, the POI has probably changed focus for good reasons (old area was unfundable/going nowhere, new area is better/more fundable/more useful, etc.). I'd learn from that person--presumably the new area is not off-the-wall different from the old one (that would be weird, and might change my opinion on not switching).
I find that to be a very presumptive assumption. People change interests for FAR more basic reasons much more often- they get curious about something else and their interests evolve.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your tips! It is definitely a good idea to clarify the co-supervision situation because Person Y did actually bring up co-supervision. Persons X and Y have also spoke about this themselves. I also agree that the change in research interest may not be significant if they are still willing to supervise something different. I will likely clarify the research interest with my POI. Do you think it is best to clarify the co-supervision situation with person X or Y?

I agree that you should talk about these issues before you start; you're more likely to burn a bunch of bridges and end up in a bad situation if you come in wanting to switch but no one knows that but you. I'd run things through the person you've gotten an offer from first, including co-supervision, and ask that person about whether you should talk to that other person directly about co-supervision (they'll probably say yes).

Reactions: 1 user