Requests for, "Physician Statements"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get these requests a lot and for legit reasons, however nobody seems to actually know the specific format and type of correspondence to use.

Anyone here actually know? If a parent requests a letter or statement that basically identifies me as their treating physician, their diagnosis, and treatment recommendations, to be given to a third-party non-military non-federal facility, what format do I actually use? I have been told to use a MOR of various types, a letter, yada yadda.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr. X has been a patient of mine for the past 3 days and has the current diagnosis of bleeding toenails. He is currently under my supervision and are requesting that he be excused from the remainder of his life.

Use a blank piece of paper. A memo on military / facility letterhead is for official business only and would need to go up the chain for approval.

A memo can be written by anyone and does not need chain approval. Although it is for official use, I think that a physician letter counts as official business.

Reactions: 1 user
If you use letterhead, you may need "by direction" authority.

Meh. They can officially redact my memos whenever they get around to it.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone can write a memo, but not on the command's official letterhead. If a blank piece of paper doesn't seem professional enough, I recommend creating your own personal letterhead or one specific for your department.

I got by direction authority, but never asked for it. I ended up with strange collateral duty which required letters.