HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
I get these requests a lot and for legit reasons, however nobody seems to actually know the specific format and type of correspondence to use.

Anyone here actually know? If a parent requests a letter or statement that basically identifies me as their treating physician, their diagnosis, and treatment recommendations, to be given to a third-party non-military non-federal facility, what format do I actually use? I have been told to use a MOR of various types, a letter, yada yadda.

HighPriest

Specialized in diseases of the head holes
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Dinner napkin and a marker. One that bleeds a lot

HighPriest

10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I type a memo-style letter on Army/facility letterhead.

Reactions: Shikima

Shikima

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Mr. X has been a patient of mine for the past 3 days and has the current diagnosis of bleeding toenails. He is currently under my supervision and are requesting that he be excused from the remainder of his life.

Dr. Wexler

15+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
Use whatever you like. Letter. Prescription pad. Your clinic's work-note form. No one cares. Stamp it and no one will question it.

Yellowstone

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Use a blank piece of paper. A memo on military / facility letterhead is for official business only and would need to go up the chain for approval.

deuist

Stealthfully Sarcastic
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
A memo can be written by anyone and does not need chain approval. Although it is for official use, I think that a physician letter counts as official business.

Reactions: peetdoor

HighPriest

10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Meh. They can officially redact my memos whenever they get around to it.

Reactions: peetdoor

Yellowstone

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Anyone can write a memo, but not on the command's official letterhead. If a blank piece of paper doesn't seem professional enough, I recommend creating your own personal letterhead or one specific for your department.