REQUIRED READING (for many)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
While reading a thread about a medical student who was unsupervised while placing a central line, I realized that I had not suggested/commanded the SDN user population to read the following article:

Kusminksy, RE. Complications of Central Venous Catheterization. JACS (J of the American College of Surgeons), April 2007, 204(4), pp 681-696.

While the article is obviously of greatest interest to those who routinely place lines (surgeons, anesthesiologists, hospitalists, intensivists, EM, etc.) I would ask that anyone who can please read the article and then pass it on to someone else...perhaps an allied health care worker who doesn't understand that these lines can kill or perhaps a colleague who just isn't aware of all the potential complications.

A family member of an SDN user was killed recently when he suffered an air embolism after improper removal of a central line and failure to recognize the complication. While there isn't much we can do directly to assuage the family and the person responsible, perhaps by all of us becoming a little more familiar with the potential complications and then sharing that information, we can reduce the possibility of this happening again and perhaps even become a little better ourselves.

If you would like to view the article on-line, you can either register at JACS: http://www.journalacs.org/home or I have uploaded it: http://www.freewebs.com/kimberlicox/CVC.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Nice article...thanks. There's also a pretty good 2003 NEJM review article about the central line complications.

Great article. Very important topic. Thanks.

I dont know how that MS accepted to place the central line without supervision, no matter how good of a MS you are you shouldnt accept putting a central line.

One time I was approached by a nurse to see if I could put a central line as a MS4, I told her no that I wouldnt do it without a resident or attending by my side. It took the PGY-2 resident three tries.