required to release all mcat scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unlearner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
are we required by aacomas to release ALL mcat scores we've ever taken? or is up to us to leave out the ones we don't want release?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure you have to release all scores. Even if hey don't explicitly say that, would you want to get an acceptance and them find out you didn't and possible jeopardize that acceptance.

when you release an mcat score report it will report all exam you sat for an did not void. You can not selectively release mcat scores. that is why it is very important to take the mcat once if possible, and be done with it.

too many students now are taking the mcat 2 or 3 times as "practice" or because it is so easy to take multiple times now. try to is right the first time, and if you must, retake but realize you will need to do much better for it to siginifcanly affect your application if that's all that changed. if your shooting for MD, you'll need to crack a 30, escpecially if you take it 2x. If your goal is DO, then you'll want to hit the hit the high 20's (27+), especially if you took the exam 2 or more times.

This isnt to say some people dont get in with lower numbers, but you have to go on what the average matriculant has (as of 2008 avg MD matriculant has a 30.5)

if you're worried about scoring in the low 20's or worse, do not sit for the exam. it is technically not impposible but it's highly unlikely you'll suddenly go from 22-24 on practice exams and get 30's on test day.

most schools won't even let you apply more than 3x.

Members don't see this ad :)
As stated by a previous poster, when the score report is given out to a school, it consists of all the MCAT's you have ever taken. I don't think you have the option in choosing, and if you did it would probably be a mistake to leave some out... Also as stated, do the best you can on your first, and take the test as few times as possible...

Personally I did take the test 3 times. I didn't think I was underprepared but scored much lower on my first test than my practice tests, so that happens. I scored a 21, 25, and then a 29. Not ideal, but my interviewers did state that the upward trend was a very strong one and that they like to see that. So that is something else to consider.

I'm really worried now...because I scored 15, 22, 20. (i've always been horrible at standardized tests). I signed up for the July 2 mcat. i'm pretty confident about other parts of my application like my GPA (3.75) and work/volunteer experiences. by the way, i'm a post-bacc student who graduated in 2005.

should i just NOT take the test next week???:confused:

I'm really worried now...because I scored 15, 22, 20. (i've always been horrible at standardized tests). I signed up for the July 2 mcat. i'm pretty confident about other parts of my application like my GPA (3.75) and work/volunteer experiences. by the way, i'm a post-bacc student who graduated in 2005.

should i just NOT take the test next week???:confused:

Don't take it if you're not ready... But you should really know by now if you're ready or not. Once you basically have everything memorized, all of the physics equations, basic bio principles, and Orgo equations (and yes all this stuff really should be memorized) the best thing to do is just take practice test after practice test... Full length ones online from the aamc. I also recommend the examkracker books... I feel that they are so much more streamlined and better than either Kaplan or the Princeton review. Also if you can get a hold of the audio tapes Exam Krakers Audio Osmosis I found them amusingly funny and surprisingly helpful. I only started to use this stuff before my last MCAT and felt that they made all the difference in the world.