Required to shadow for DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceman132

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I met a DO through family..... Who lives 18 hours away

He said that he would be more then happy to have me shadow but I need to make the trip up there. (Just had a phone convo)

He's writing a LOR for me (No problem).... I'm just not sure if it would be worth it to go up there. Do I need to shadow? Or is the LOR enough? (I have already shadowed MDs)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I met a DO through family..... Who lives 14 hours away

He said that he would be more then happy to have me shadow but I need to make the trip up there. (Just had a phone convo)

He's writing a LOR for me (No problem).... I'm just not sure if it would be worth it to go up there. Do I need to shadow? Or is the LOR enough? (I have already shadowed MDs)

Well, I really enjoyed my shadowing experience. I learned a ton of things that he couldn't have possibly taught me over the phone. So for you personally and educationally, it would be a loss.

I'm sure the LOR is enough, but schools may wonder how you got an LOR without actually shadowing. lol. Not sure though...

Well, I really enjoyed my shadowing experience. I learned a ton of things that he couldn't have possibly taught me over the phone. So for you personally and educationally, it would be a loss.

I'm sure the LOR is enough, but schools may wonder how you got an LOR without actually shadowing. lol. Not sure though...

I guess I can just tell them that I talked to him over the phone? I'm a bit lost on that one too.

The DO was on an admissions committee...... He sounded like the LOR wasn't a big deal....

Members don't see this ad :)
if you haven't shadowed at all, I would make the trip. i work as a patient transporter in a hospital for 20 hours per week for a year so my clinical experience is more than enough, but the shadowing showed me more than I ever imagined. it is hard to explain, maybe i shadowed a fantastic doctor, maybe it was the speciality i didn't expect to love, i don't know. i do know that if i had NO other options at all, i would make the trip.

if you haven't shadowed at all, I would make the trip. i work as a patient transporter in a hospital for 20 hours per week for a year so my clinical experience is more than enough, but the shadowing showed me more than I ever imagined. it is hard to explain, maybe i shadowed a fantastic doctor, maybe it was the speciality i didn't expect to love, i don't know. i do know that if i had NO other options at all, i would make the trip.

I shadowed 3 MDs.... No DO though. (2 primary care)

It's a big dilemma I'm having right now. It's actually an 18 hour drive..... If admissions would care then I will definitely do it... Just not sure.

I met a DO through family..... Who lives 18 hours away

Theres no way in hot hell I would drive 18hrs to shadow a DO/MD/Phd/RN/CRNA/CNA/CEO/HIV/ or whatever. Im sure you can find a DO that is close and still accept that letter.

If you think he knows YOU enough to write a decent LOR then don't drive 18 hours.

However, I would suggest shadowing one. If for no other reason than everyone complains about finding a DO to shadow...and actually doing so shows commitment and that you are willing to work for what you want.

It also depends on where you are applying. If you are only applying to a couple schools that require a DO letter, and they are low/mid on your list, just get the LOR without shadowing and use one of the MD letters at the schools that don't require a DO letter.