Requirement for OMFS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello ALL,
I am new on student network,
I really wanted to know the requirements and qualifications for OMFS residency?
I am A fresh Dental graduate from Pakistan (BDS) , I havent done internship yet,I know they dont accept our internship here.
Few questions more like,
1-is NBDE compulsory to apply for exams?
2-Is DDS/DMD degree is required?

Am totally Blank , Please Help

Final question,
Do i Have to pay for the residency or do i get paid for the residency?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello ALL,
I am new on student network,
I really wanted to know the requirements and qualifications for OMFS residency?
I am A fresh Dental graduate from Pakistan (BDS) , I havent done internship yet,I know they dont accept our internship here.
Few questions more like,
1-is NBDE compulsory to apply for exams?
2-Is DDS/DMD degree is required?

Am totally Blank , Please Help

Final question,
Do i Have to pay for the residency or do i get paid for the residency?? :confused:

Dear drmak,

I am not fully qualified to answer all of your questions but I will tell you this. OMS is a very difficult specialty to enter as a foreign trained dentist. More opportunities in prosth and perio. Very few OMS programs consider FTDs and they need to have a way to compare you to other candidates. A few things:

1) You certainly should take NBDE I and II to stand a chance.
2) Not to offend, but your English requires improvement. I would consider that.
3) Some US dent schools (eg. Pittsburgh) take FTDs w/ advanced standing to get your DDS
4) Email programs and ask if they consider foreign-trained dentists for residency
5) Good news: if you make it, you are paid during residency

Good luck drmak

Last edited:
Hi

OMFS is one of the most competitive specialties in dentistry. You will be competing against the best American dental graduates so you really have to work hard to increase your chances. For example, you need a very high score in NDBE1. Doing externship IMHO is the most important thing that may help you get in because it is different when you see someone in person rather than on papers. English proficiency is a must.

Good luck!