Requirements for BS/MD 6-8 year programs (out of high school)?

AspiringDoc1999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I currently am a junior in high school and have wanted to go into the medical field since I was in grade school (orthopaedic surgery). I have around a 3.95 unweighted gpa (going up due to senior year) and a 4.38 gpa this year so far (weighted). I am taking and have taken multiple AP classes in science. I also took anatomy and physiology (reserved for seniors) as a sophomore. I have not taken the ACT or SAT yet but based on practice tests my act is at least 31 and SAT around 2000+. I also play basketball, am involved in chemistry club, and investment club. I also plan to volunteer in a hospital this summer. What are my chances of getting into one of the BS/MD programs out of high school? (the tier/name of the school matters nothing to me). As for motivation, I have been enthralled by science since early grade years. Thank you to all who respond!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not necessarily sure. But, it appears you contain the acdemics to succeed in college; potentially medical school. Remember though that the path to medicine isn't an easy one.

Reactions: 1 user
Grapp, I understand that medical school, let alone college, is significantly more challenging that high school. However, I am 110% committed to doing everything required of me and even more. The idea of myself helping others in the future is a prospect that drives me to succeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
You generally need an SAT/ACT somewhere in the 2200/34 range to be competitive, as well as notable medical and/or research experiences. I think you're a better candidate for a traditional UG (which is way better, too).

Reactions: 1 user
You need an exceptional GPA and test scores to even be considered. You also need insane EC's. Even with these grades its never a shoe-in.

Thus far you have nothing in your application to suggest that you intend to make a career out of serving others. If you want to apply BS/MD, get on that.

Grapp, I understand that medical school, let alone college, is significantly more challenging that high school. However, I am 110% committed to doing everything required of me and even more. The idea of myself helping others in the future is a prospect that drives me to succeed.

You may understand what others have told you, and I'm not a medical student, but I can say for sure that you will not know for sure how difficult it is until you actually go through it.

Yeah, no BS/MD committee is going to care about this statement. Every risk-averse high school student is spewing this stuff in their essays and interviews. It does not sound like your CV is impressive enough to get into any of these programs, especially since you would be applying in about half a year.