Resarch for "Strong" IM Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StraightOuttaBrooklyn

Future House, M.D.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time poster here. I'll cut right to the chase with this one.

I'd like to be a cardiologist. Yep, I'll apply IM and then hopefully match for fellowship. Like most here, I understand the importance of matching to what is considered a "strong" IM program that will poise me well for the cardiology fellowship match. I understand doing research in medical school is a major factor for matching to such "strong" residency programs in IM.

With intentions of going into such a competitive sub-specialty, is it crucial that the research I do in medical school be in cardiology? If I was doing say, research in Immunology or Allergy or Heme/Onc or Hepatology or Renal or Transplantation/GvHD etc., and had something to show for myself (poster, case-study presentation, publication), would that be sufficient? Or should I be focused on establishing a long track-record of research in the sub-specialty I'd ultimately like to go into (in this case, cardiology)?

Much thanks to anyone who can chime in :)

-SOB

Members don't see this ad.

Any research is fine with regards to getting into a strong IM program as your application should not focus on cardiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research doesn't make up for a poor application unless it's multiple 1st authors in high impact journals. Otherwise, it augments an already strong application, which is made by board scores and 3rd year grades.

Reactions: 1 user
Grades and boards above all else. Coming from a middle of the pack medical school, I had friends who were strong students (some AOA, some not) interviewing and matching at all the biggest name IM programs in the country. Ditto for the class before mine. Most of them also did research but to my knowledge none were research superstars (I'm looking at you Mr. 47 pubs! WTF?!).

A strong academic performance (240+/majority Hs) should set you up to match well. Add in some research (couple pubs, few presentations/posters) and you'll be a strong applicant. The exact field you do it in probably doesn't matter much. What matters is doing something that actually turns into a publication. THAT is important.

Grades and boards above all else. Coming from a middle of the pack medical school, I had friends who were strong students (some AOA, some not) interviewing and matching at all the biggest name IM programs in the country. Ditto for the class before mine. Most of them also did research but to my knowledge none were research superstars (I'm looking at you Mr. 47 pubs! WTF?!).

A strong academic performance (240+/majority Hs) should set you up to match well. Add in some research (couple pubs, few presentations/posters) and you'll be a strong applicant. The exact field you do it in probably doesn't matter much. What matters is doing something that actually turns into a publication. THAT is important.

Some of my professors probably dont have 47 pubs