Resarch & Getting Published?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be applying in June and although I have done some research (2-3 months in a metabolism/biochem lab) I have not been published and I really wouldn't have much to say about the research I've done so far should it come up in a med school interview. I finished undergrad in 2010 and I think I'd be better off doing research and continuing at my job this fall/spring instead of taking more classes, but I don't really know the best way to get a worthwhile research position.

All I did for my last lab job (volunteer) was send an email out to a bunch of the professors at the med school near me and hope one of them needed some free help. I got what I wanted, but all I did was look at data all day for something that ended up being a dead end.

Is there a better way? And are there ways to identify how much involvement I would actually have in the research?

Members don't see this ad.

Just to play devils advocate, what is your MCAT, sGPA and cGPA? If they can have some improvement, classes or time studying for MCAT maybe a bigger boost then research,

additionally social aspects of medical research and not just hardcore science research can be an effective path

Took my MCAT on April 5, scores aren't back yet. I can certainly use the boost in GPA, but I'm applying in June and Fall/Spring grades won't help me get in this cycle.