Not getting priority registration? (DIY post-bacc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Broccolo

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a DIY post-bacc at the nearest state college, but I'm worried about the registration process. Since the school doesn't offer a formal pre-health program (and the school does not allow second-bachelors so I would need to take classes as a non-degree-seeking student), I'll be placed at the lowest priority for registration. That means I can only enroll after the first day of classes, which is after all the degree-seeking students have already enrolled.

I talked to the school office about how difficult it would be to enroll in lower division bio/chem/etc. classes, and they said it wouldn't be too hard since those classes tend to have a lot of open seats. (They told me that it would be difficult to enroll in upper-division classes, like biochem, though.)

I'm interested in dentistry, and I would really like to do a DIY post-bacc at this school since it's right next to my family's house and would save me toooooons of money. But registering for classes after the first day of school sounds crazy. :/

Has anyone else done a DIY post-bacc? How did you handle this low priority registration thing?

Members don't see this ad.

I did exactly this--all my science prereqs (including biochem and genetics) were done postbac. It's not that big an issue, because students may drop within the first week. Even if a section fills up, another may be open. Just show up on the first day and ask the professor after lecture to get a permission # (if you need one). I have never been prevented from taking a class I needed, and my schedule was set up pretty rigidly over 4 semesters. One prof even let me join a full class because there were still empty chairs in the room. The last thing to keep in mind is that summer and winter intersession classes may not have priority registration, so you could sign up for those as soon as they open.

I did exactly this--all my science prereqs (including biochem and genetics) were done postbac. It's not that big an issue, because students may drop within the first week. Even if a section fills up, another may be open. Just show up on the first day and ask the professor after lecture to get a permission # (if you need one). I have never been prevented from taking a class I needed, and my schedule was set up pretty rigidly over 4 semesters. One prof even let me join a full class because there were still empty chairs in the room. The last thing to keep in mind is that summer and winter intersession classes may not have priority registration, so you could sign up for those as soon as they open.
Ah I see. Thanks! Did you also have to register after the first day of school? tbh I think registering for lectures wouldn't be too hard but I'm worried about labs haha
+ this is not a postbacc related question but which health insurance did you have while doing a postbacc? medicaid?

Last edited: