This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wanderlust_7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

My DAT journey has been quite difficult, as it has been for many others here. I originally took the DAT in 2014 for the 15' cycle and did horrible on my DAT with a 14AA, 15TS, and 19PAT (I didn't study, but that's another story for another time). I graduated (3.2 overall and 3.2 Science), moved across the country, got settled and am studying again. Found that after being out of school for a while, I no longer had a reasonable foundation of information and self-studying was too daunting and overwhelming, especially while working full-time, so I paid the hefty price for the Kaplan Online Course.

The course is great!... for someone who does not work full-time. Thankfully, Kaplan allowed me to retake the course at no additional charge and by the graciousness of my boss, I temporarily went part-time. I have finished the course, and I did improve! But not enough.
Bio 17-18, GC 14-17, OC 15-18, PAT 19-21, RC 16, QR 10-12 (My last math class, 2010. I'm "okay" at math, but then take away any reasonable amount of time to think through it... Yea. Any suggestions here would be amazing!)
As you can see, not a lot of consistency in sciences and one extremely unacceptable QR score trend.

My test was set for March 16th, but after taking my fourth full-length exam and analyzing my scores compared the my other exams, I'm not consistent enough and barely cutting across the passing finish line in some areas, whereas in other areas are considered auto rejection. So, I rescheduled for May 12th.

To make things interesting, I am leaving for Japan March 18th-April 5th. And under the agreement with my boss, once returned from Japan, will return to full-time.

So, I need a great reboot plan for when I get back from Japan. My scores are not amazing, BUT they are truly better than when I first started and when I took my DAT in 2014. Kaplan was a great tool to help me replenish my foundations, but I'm ready to self-study now so I can get an amazing and passing score/s.

It's been a while since I've self studied (2014), I'm familiar with Chad's videos and DAT Bootcamp and DAT Destroyer (2012), anything else that is helpful, and anyone who is full-time, any study schedule suggestions??

Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate any constructional advice and good vibes! :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you've taken the Kaplan Course, you probably have some content review background?

While it would be great to go over chad's again etc to get more background, for someone like yourself who works full time that is probably not your best bang for buck.

My friends who have taken the Kaplan DAT and MCAT tests have told me that they are severely deflated (I can't attest to this though as I've never done them).
Maybe try a bootcamp test to see where you are at?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've taken the Kaplan Course, you probably have some content review background?

While it would be great to go over chad's again etc to get more background, for someone like yourself who works full time that is probably not your best bang for buck.

My friends who have taken the Kaplan DAT and MCAT tests have told me that they are severely deflated (I can't attest to this though as I've never done them).
Maybe try a bootcamp test to see where you are at?

Hey! Yes, doing Kaplan was a great starting point to review all of the content. I have Chad's video's and when I wasn't understanding something in Kaplan, or felt it could be better explained with Chad, I'd check out the corresponding video.
Also, about a year ago, I had time to sit and watch all of Chad's video's and took very detailed notes, practically copying everything he wrote and even writing questions he would ask during the videos. Referring to those notes has helped greatly without actually going to his videos.

Guess where I'm lost now is, I obviously need to practice more now since I've gotten a great bulk of the content review down, but how to efficiently and effectively. Also, do I just start going through DAT Destroyer, take the DAT Bootcamp tests and just review them? When it comes time to start "applying" all my practice and seeing where I stand overall with scores, what should I use? Just retake all the BC tests?
I've heard of people just redoing the DAT Destroyer questions up to 5 times, guess I just don't understand how that is effective, but I'm totally willing to try it out!

Oh! And to add to the Kaplan tests, I think they're good tests, some are so-so, but others a good. I will say I took all 6 of the free sectional tests with Bootcamp, and I scored higher in each area with BC than I had been in Kaplan. But that was after the Kaplan course ended and 3 full-length tests, so unsure whether I was just getting better, Kaplan's tests were harder, or BC 1st free tests were easier.

You're going to have to REALLY bust your ass from now until May 12th especially since your going to be working full time. You mentioned you have the DAT destroyer but do you have the Math Destroyer as well? If you dont I reccommend getting it as it seems you need to ramp up the QR score. In terms of how you should go about doing it Id like to ask, the scores you got from Kaplan, we're they timed? If they were timed do you think you could get a lot more right if they werent? If so then you need to keep practicing with bootcamp/destroyer to work under that time pressure. Otherwise you'll need to continue with content review

Hello!

My DAT journey has been quite difficult, as it has been for many others here. I originally took the DAT in 2014 for the 15' cycle and did horrible on my DAT with a 14AA, 15TS, and 19PAT (I didn't study, but that's another story for another time). I graduated (3.2 overall and 3.2 Science), moved across the country, got settled and am studying again. Found that after being out of school for a while, I no longer had a reasonable foundation of information and self-studying was too daunting and overwhelming, especially while working full-time, so I paid the hefty price for the Kaplan Online Course.

The course is great!... for someone who does not work full-time. Thankfully, Kaplan allowed me to retake the course at no additional charge and by the graciousness of my boss, I temporarily went part-time. I have finished the course, and I did improve! But not enough.
Bio 17-18, GC 14-17, OC 15-18, PAT 19-21, RC 16, QR 10-12 (My last math class, 2010. I'm "okay" at math, but then take away any reasonable amount of time to think through it... Yea. Any suggestions here would be amazing!)
As you can see, not a lot of consistency in sciences and one extremely unacceptable QR score trend.

My test was set for March 16th, but after taking my fourth full-length exam and analyzing my scores compared the my other exams, I'm not consistent enough and barely cutting across the passing finish line in some areas, whereas in other areas are considered auto rejection. So, I rescheduled for May 12th.

To make things interesting, I am leaving for Japan March 18th-April 5th. And under the agreement with my boss, once returned from Japan, will return to full-time.

So, I need a great reboot plan for when I get back from Japan. My scores are not amazing, BUT they are truly better than when I first started and when I took my DAT in 2014. Kaplan was a great tool to help me replenish my foundations, but I'm ready to self-study now so I can get an amazing and passing score/s.

It's been a while since I've self studied (2014), I'm familiar with Chad's videos and DAT Bootcamp and DAT Destroyer (2012), anything else that is helpful, and anyone who is full-time, any study schedule suggestions??

Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate any constructional advice and good vibes! :)

I ditto what other people said -- you are going to have to work very hard

stick to cliffnotes for bio -- supplement with ferlais notes
chad's videos
dat destroyer -- learn why you got the questions wrong, don't just do the questions

You're going to have to REALLY bust your ass from now until May 12th especially since your going to be working full time. You mentioned you have the DAT destroyer but do you have the Math Destroyer as well? If you dont I reccommend getting it as it seems you need to ramp up the QR score. In terms of how you should go about doing it Id like to ask, the scores you got from Kaplan, we're they timed? If they were timed do you think you could get a lot more right if they werent? If so then you need to keep practicing with bootcamp/destroyer to work under that time pressure. Otherwise you'll need to continue with content review

Hi thanks for the reply! I do have Math Destroyer, but haven't touched it yet and have barely got into the other subjects of DAT Destroyer. My scores from Kaplan were all timed, and yes I feel in most areas of the test if they were un-timed I would have answered more questions correctly, especially in math and gen chem. I was just speaking with my significant other that if I could have 3 min. to think it through I could figure it out! So, I guess from here out, is it advisable to just follow Part 2 of Ari's study schedule as far as practicing? I am a person who truly needs structure and that's the only schedule I'm familiar with.

I ditto what other people said -- you are going to have to work very hard

stick to cliffnotes for bio -- supplement with ferlais notes
chad's videos
dat destroyer -- learn why you got the questions wrong, don't just do the questions

Hey! Thank you, as far as DAT Destroyer, would you do a certain about of questions a day, and then go back and review each question? I just feel very intimidated, like I'm jumping in the deep end when it comes to DAT Destroyer. I just know don't know where to start. Thank you for your help!

Hey! Thank you, as far as DAT Destroyer, would you do a certain about of questions a day, and then go back and review each question? I just feel very intimidated, like I'm jumping in the deep end when it comes to DAT Destroyer. I just know don't know where to start. Thank you for your help!

start after you did content review

and yes do a certian amount of questions a day (hard to do 300-400 questions in one sitting haha) -- look them over -- understand why you got things wrong, look up definitions of answer choices that know what it was (even if it was wrong) and learn them too

Hi thanks for the reply! I do have Math Destroyer, but haven't touched it yet and have barely got into the other subjects of DAT Destroyer. My scores from Kaplan were all timed, and yes I feel in most areas of the test if they were un-timed I would have answered more questions correctly, especially in math and gen chem. I was just speaking with my significant other that if I could have 3 min. to think it through I could figure it out! So, I guess from here out, is it advisable to just follow Part 2 of Ari's study schedule as far as practicing? I am a person who truly needs structure and that's the only schedule I'm familiar with.

I reccommend trying a few sections UNTIME first maybe look for some services that will give u a free test so you don't have to waste a bootcamp test. If you get a satisfactory score then I think it's safe to say that content review has worked. Obviously keep up with content if you can for things you genuienly don't know. Otherwise I suggest doing the problems in part 2. Be warned if you have not touched dat destroyer or math destroyer before they are VERY VERY HARD and u most likely won't get many right but that's ok. Review what u got wrong and redo them at a later time if u can

I reccommend trying a few sections UNTIME first maybe look for some services that will give u a free test so you don't have to waste a bootcamp test. If you get a satisfactory score then I think it's safe to say that content review has worked. Obviously keep up with content if you can for things you genuienly don't know. Otherwise I suggest doing the problems in part 2. Be warned if you have not touched dat destroyer or math destroyer before they are VERY VERY HARD and u most likely won't get many right but that's ok. Review what u got wrong and redo them at a later time if u can

Practice tests are NOT going to help him improve his score from where he is at right now. For crying out loud, look at his scores.

@Wanderlust_7 I think you're going about this entire process the wrong way. Your foundational knowledge is super weak and so you need to relearn everything. Do you really think by doing all of the Bootcamp and destroyer tests, that you will jump to a 20+? They are good resources but they do not make ADA practice tests and so they won't "magically" save you. You need to spend hundred of hours studying the foundational content and then do practice tests at the end.

I reccommend trying a section of bootcamp UNTIME first. If you get a satisfactory score then I think it's safe to say that content review has worked. Obviously keep up with content if you can for things you genuienly don't know. Otherwise I suggest doing the problems in part 2. Be warned if you have not touched dat destroyer or math destroyer before they are VERY VERY HARD and u most likely won't get many right but that's ok. Review what u got wrong and redo them at a later time if u can
Practice tests are NOT going to help him improve his score from where he is at right now. For crying out loud, look at his scores.

@Wanderlust_7 I think you're going about this entire process the wrong way. Your foundational knowledge is super weak and so you need to relearn everything. Do you really think by doing all of the Bootcamp and destroyer tests, that you will jump to a 20+? They are good resources but they do not make ADA practice tests and so they won't "magically" save you. You need to spend hundred of hours studying the foundational content and then do practice tests at the end.

You also have to consider that he doesn't have a lot of time until his test when he is also working full time. He cant exactly be spending "hundred of hours" when he provably can only study a few hours each day. Obviously the best solution would be to push the test back but this advice is assuming he doesnt have that option. OP says he thinks he can do marginally better if the tests were untimed and so I suggest one subject test untime to see if it was the time pressure that's causing these scores rather than not knowing content.

I kind of agree...it's a tricky situation because he doesn't have a lot of time (test is in May but I assume he won't be studying while he's in Japan from March - April) but based on his Kaplan scores it sounds like he still needs to work on his content review for a while before jumping into other practice test type resources. I wouldn't have used Kaplan as the primary source of content review to begin with, but there's not much that can be done about that now.

OP, you might want to consider pushing your test back further and spending more time with content review using other resources instead.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're not solid on ochem, I would recommend running through "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" and the masteringorganicchemistry.com website. My foundation on Ochem isn't that great and I found Chad's to be too sped up (similar with practice test solutions). These two resources are helping me greatly in establishing the ABC's of ochem.