Rescheduling interview last minute?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pippiptadoodlydo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
After scheduling an interview at a school, I got another interview with no date option, the only option being the day after my first interview. My flight was landing at 1:30 am so I wasn't going to get the best sleep but I was going to make it work. But now, I'm sitting at the airport and the flight has been delayed for hours multiple times. It looks like I am not going to land until 5 am, getting about 1.5 hours of sleep. I don't think I'm going to do well on a very important interview with that little sleep, but I'm really worried about rescheduling. In general, would a school look down on me for not sucking it up and cancelling 1-2 hours before it's supposed to begin? I don't know whether to risk that or risk having a really bad performance, especially since it's an MMI

Members don't see this ad.

Yes-that would look very bad to cancel on that short of notice. In my opinion, that would be almost as bad as not showing up.

If I were in your shoes I'd assume this was my only shot to interview there. I would sleep on the plane, and in the terminal (i.e. now! set your alarm for boarding time, ask another person or two on the flight to wake you if it happens to board early). Then show up with a bit of rest.

If you only have 1.5hrs after landing, use that time to get ready, shower, go for a jog, get coffee, or whatever it takes. At least for me, taking a 1.5hr nap in that situation would be more likely to just sap me of energy, but everyone responds to sleep deprivation differently. But there's a real risk of oversleeping in this situation too. But you can't oversleep on the plane-the flight attendants and TSA will make sure!

If your flight gets further delayed and you are going to be cutting it rather close, leave a voicemail and email notifying the admissions coordinator your flight was delayed x hours and you will do your best to be in time. If you're going to be late, I think it's still best to give hem a heads up and show up.

If you cannot make it, do not email-call!

Go to sleep! (I am-my son just fell asleep so I'm taking advantage of that so I can get an entire 6hrs of sleep!) Just make sure to set an alarm if you sleep prior to boarding, and have a backup plan in case the plane boards early or you sleep through your alarm.

If this interview is important, then make it happen! Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
That is an awful situation. Ranger Bob's solution is the only one that I can think of. But think of it as practice for 24 hour shifts in clinical years and residency.

However, if your flight is delayed again, call and explain. I hope they can reschedule for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well not going to lie but these were not really the answers I wanted to here haha. Thank you though! I unfortunately cannot sleep on planes so I will sleep for an hour when I get home and then absolutely crash and burn at the interview. So long in state tuition :/

Reactions: 1 user
Well not going to lie but these were not really the answers I wanted to here haha. Thank you though! I unfortunately cannot sleep on planes so I will sleep for an hour when I get home and then absolutely crash and burn at the interview. So long in state tuition :/

The other members may no more than me so take this with a grain of salt but I don't see why they wouldn't be understanding of a delayed flight. Although I guess it's a weird case where you can make it but it's just gonna be crappy timing so that makes it tough to say.

Hoping you were able to get some rest - let us know how it went!

Reactions: 2 users
Guess my dad wasn't crazy after all to suggest traveling to each interview location 2 days before the interview. This is especially important with smaller airports because they don't have as many back-up options as larger airports in case your flight gets delayed or cancelled. Best to shell out the extra money for another night in the hotel than risk the interference of extraneous circumstances like a delayed flight. We all worked too damn hard to get those interviews so it's best to play it safe. Hope the interview goes well OP.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah normally I would fly in much much earlier, but the flight was already scheduled for the first interview and I just couldn't afford to change it- and even if I had, the only earlier flight I could have gotten to after the first interview was cancelled and I would have ended up on this one anyways! I was not expecting lightning to affect it this badly. I didn't even think of benadryl, that would have been perfect!

I slept about 30 minutes on the plane, and of course it landed even later than expected, so I got home a little after 6 AM. I trusted myself to hear my alarm and went to sleep for an hour before waking up to shower and head out. I was feeling awful on the drive, but when I got there I was feeling better- but the interview wasn't until late afternoon. I started to fade, especially during the financial aid presentation, and then of course I got super sick just before the tour. But I was able to pull myself together for the MMIs! They went well I think, and I slept from 5:30pm to 7:30am this morning. Now I'll just await decisions in October! Thanks for all your help everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users