Rescore Mcat?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DR. BOSTON

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has tried to rescore their mcat and actually learned that they earned a better grade???

I saw a thread where many people did badly on verbal and believe that it was due to a mistake.....what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, I personally haven't had my MCAT rescored, but i think i read about other posters stating it is highly unlikely ur grade would change if u were to get it rescored, and it costs $50. I guess it depends if you would feel better knowing there was not a mistake in grading then u could get it rescored, if not i dont think i would waste the money.

DR. BOSTON said:
I was wondering if anyone has tried to rescore their mcat and actually learned that they earned a better grade???

I saw a thread where many people did badly on verbal and believe that it was due to a mistake.....what do you think?

I would request rescoring. I heard that dirty laser head could generate irregular results/scores. I also heard that one person said that he rescored his OAT test and found out that they used the wrong set of answer keys. I believe that we know how we did in the test. If you felt that your scores are much lower than you expected, request rescoring. There are many other possible human and non human errors. I think it worths to spend $50. You have to do it fast. You can only do it in 2 months. Good luck to you. Please post your decision and your rescoring results if you did decide to resore it. Good luck and take care...

gujuDoc said:
I wouldn't waste the money. The writing might get rescored. But the rest of it will most likely be the same. In the history of the MCAT, no one who's ever sent in for a regrade has gotten a higher score.

gujuDoc beat me to it. This is according to the MCAT folks, that nobody who has had a numerically scored section rescored has ever had their score change. The essay is a different story.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone ever had a writing sample rescored? what is the probability of your score moving up on that? i feel like my writing sample was better than the score I recieved so I am debating about having it rescored. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

runnerxc said:
has anyone ever had a writing sample rescored? what is the probability of your score moving up on that? i feel like my writing sample was better than the score I recieved so I am debating about having it rescored. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I heard that they will have 4 new people to read your essays again. And, the new scores overwrites the old scores. I would look at the problem like this: If you felt that your score is M and less, it can only stay the same or go up, especially you felt that you did a good job. So, have it re-scored. I heard it will take 2 - 3months though. Some people say that the essay score is really not important. I would rescore the essay if I feel that my writings deserve a better score. It is the matter of self respect.

MoosePilot said:
gujuDoc beat me to it. This is according to the MCAT folks, that nobody who has had a numerically scored section rescored has ever had their score change. The essay is a different story.

Once in my course, the machine which read scantron had a problem. Many of my classmates scores were messed up. It graded randomly. Mine had no problems. But, many of my classmates' grades were wrong. After the technician changed a new laser head, the problem was solved. So, don't think that machine does not make mistakes. Unless MCAT graded each test with two different machines and then compared the results from two machines before it released the scores, I would say that the scores could be wrong. I doubt that MCAT graded each test twice with two different machines. From the fault tolerant course I took, I know that past history does not guarantee the future results. i.e., Machines which operated well did not guarantee that they will continuously operates well in the future. If you take the course, you understand what I meant. I encouraged people to request rescore if anyone felt that scores were not what they expected. At least, you have tried your best to understand the problems.

I really ate it on verbal this April. I called the AAMC and spoke to them for like twenty minutes, and requested to have someone call me back that had more experience with rescoring. Unfortunately, I was told that the AAMC has NEVER changed MCAT section scores (i.e. verbal, bio, or phys)! He claimed the reason for this is that any irregular patterns are picked up by the computer and dealth with immediately. For instance, if bubbles were not picked up by the scantron, then the computer would have record of the matter and a technician would make sure that this actually was accurate!! So, yes, there has been errors, but any strange reports are looked into so that the AAMC maintains their integrity. Personally, I think this is BS! I can't help but be pessimistic about the AAMC honoring a rescore if it actually was going to change because it reflects negatively. Plus, if one person found that there score changed there would have to be official documentation!! It sucks, but it certainly inspires me to rape and pillage the MCAT when I take it again!!!!

frankrizzo18 said:
I really ate it on verbal this April. I called the AAMC and spoke to them for like twenty minutes, and requested to have someone call me back that had more experience with rescoring. Unfortunately, I was told that the AAMC has NEVER changed MCAT section scores (i.e. verbal, bio, or phys)! He claimed the reason for this is that any irregular patterns are picked up by the computer and dealth with immediately. For instance, if bubbles were not picked up by the scantron, then the computer would have record of the matter and a technician would make sure that this actually was accurate!! So, yes, there has been errors, but any strange reports are looked into so that the AAMC maintains their integrity. Personally, I think this is BS! I can't help but be pessimistic about the AAMC honoring a rescore if it actually was going to change because it reflects negatively. Plus, if one person found that there score changed there would have to be official documentation!! It sucks, but it certainly inspires me to @#%$ and pillage the MCAT when I take it again!!!!

Well, you gotta figure that with 2 months to evaluate/process the test, the AAMC would have a high degree of efficiency in their score manipulation. I find it sort of doubtful to think that machine error is the probable reason for poor performance.

They charge $200 to register for the test, and for 20,000+ test takers (in April), that means there is $4 million at stake. Combined with August (30,000+ test takers), the total comes up to something over $10 million each year for the MCAT alone. This is before we add on any additional revenue from AAMC practice tests, and this is assuming that they don't use any funds from the AMCAS - which undoubtedly has an astronomical price tag to it as well. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is if you have $10 million to work out 50000 scores, you shouldn't really mess any of them up, and I'm thinking they probably have rigorous check/fail-safe mechanism to ensure the veracity of the final scores.

Of course, the only thing that is unsettling, in my opinion, is how last year (and years prior to this, I imagine) there were some database errors. As I understand it, a few SDN'ers experienced something strange as they logged in to view their scores: instead of seeing their information, they saw someone else's. That is extremely disturbing, in my opinion. Having a background in web-programming, I simply don't understand how that error could be made. If a mistake has been made with your score, perhaps it's not the machine at fault, but rather the database linking your account to your scores. Just to play devil's advocate, let's ask: is it possible that a database swap-up accidentally put your score in someone's else's lap and gave you the wrong scores?

Anyway, there's no reason to lose sleep over any of this. :laugh: If all else fails, just retake it and don't worry. Maybe next year it'll be $300 and they'll let you view your answer sheets / test booklet as an online pdf to satisfy all this neurotic paranoia. ;)