MCAT rescore???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runmemydegree

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was scoring 510/511 on my AAMC practice tests that simulated the real one. The last FL score I got was a 506! I knew the content and was taking FL practice tests twice a week. I was studying for 8+ hours a day for 3 months. I wasn’t nervous for the exam and thought I did well, but just got my score back and its a 499. I took it on June 4th. I am just beyond confused has this happened to anyone else? Is it even possible to have your MCAT rescored? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Your posts from this time last year (2020) that your MCAT scores were all below 500. Let's be honest here. Did you use the same studying techniques in those 8+ hours a day because it's not working for ya. It's not a fluke if this is your 4th try......

• Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
first questions that came to my mind; did you truthfully take the practice tests under actual strict testing day restrictions (no pausing at all, never once looked up an answer just to verify you chose the right one, etc.)? Did you ever retake any of your FLs? How exactly were you studying? long hours does not equal effective studying

Reactions: 2 users
While there is a way to request a rescore of the MCAT, it's rare to have it come up with a change in your score.
I think @Faha has given you some good advice about which schools to apply to with your current 499 score, and your energies are better spent on getting your AMCAS and AACOMAS primaries submitted within the next week or two, then working hard on the secondary essays.
Good luck on your applications

Members don't see this ad :)
Your posts from this time last year (2020) that your MCAT scores were all below 500. Let's be honest here. Did you use the same studying techniques in those 8+ hours a day because it's not working for ya. It's not a fluke if this is your 4th try......
The Wire Reaction GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
first questions that came to my mind; did you truthfully take the practice tests under actual strict testing day restrictions (no pausing at all, never once looked up an answer just to verify you chose the right one, etc.)? Did you ever retake any of your FLs? How exactly were you studying? long hours does not equal effective studying
I used a completely different study methods
and studied using AAMC practice materials and Khan Academy. I also pushed my test back to make sure that I was prepared. I also hadn’t gotten in the 490s for at least a month before I took my exam. I knew this was my last chance to take the exam so I actually changed my methods completely!

Reactions: 1 user
and studied using AAMC practice materials and Khan Academy. I also pushed my test back to make sure that I was prepared. I also hadn’t gotten in the 490s for at least a month before I took my exam. I knew this was my last chance to take the exam so I actually changed my methods completely!
This is part of the challenge with 2nd, 3rd, and any subsequent attempts - the AAMC exams lose their predictive value. For this reason, score drops are pretty common, even drops by 10+ points. Is there a reason why you suspect that your score is the result of a scoring error? Simply put these types of score errors are exceedingly rare and usually are associated with test center irregularities.

This is part of the challenge with 2nd, 3rd, and any subsequent attempts - the AAMC exams lose their predictive value. For this reason, score drops are pretty common, even drops by 10+ points. Is there a reason why you suspect that your score is the result of a scoring error? Simply put these types of score errors are exceedingly rare and usually are associated with test center irregularities.
There were computer malfunctions at my test center. That’s why I think it might be possible.

how did you make sure your new study method was actually more effective than what you've been using before? Did you reuse all of the AAMC practice materials and redo khan academy questions?

Did you use any new FLs or did you just retake all the AAMC ones? Maybe your AAMC FLs were inflated because you retook them.

how did you make sure your new study method was actually more effective than what you've been using before? Did you reuse all of the AAMC practice materials and redo khan academy questions?
I used the AAMC practice materials and also some Nextstep material for practice questions

Someone at my location had their computer go black and mine the font was changing never experienced that
Based off of this, I do not anticipate pursuing a rescore will yield a change in your score, let alone a score change significant enough to move the needle with regards to all of the scores that will be reported. If you feel strongly then by all means pursue a rescore. I think your best bet is to work on perfecting your written application, applying broadly to MD and many DO programs, and perhaps researching SMPs or other programs that offer alternate routes of entry into medical school. Your mcat scores are such that schools will be concerned about your ability to make it through the USMLE exams, rightly or wrongly. Looking into other pathways through which you can preemptively address those concerns should this cycle not work out is prudent. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Rescores are a joke. My buddy tried one after he got the lowest score on the writing section (This was over 10 years ago now). Didn't change a thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Based off of this, I do not anticipate pursuing a rescore will yield a change in your score, let alone a score change significant enough to move the needle with regards to all of the scores that will be reported. If you feel strongly then by all means pursue a rescore. I think your best bet is to work on perfecting your written application, applying broadly to MD and many DO programs, and perhaps researching SMPs or other programs that offer alternate routes of entry into medical school. Your mcat scores are such that schools will be concerned about your ability to make it through the USMLE exams, rightly or wrongly. Looking into other pathways through which you can preemptively address those concerns should this cycle not work out is prudent. Best of luck to you.
Thank you for this advice!! I really appreciate it!