1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Rescoring July MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by kobryant, Aug 19, 2015.

1. kobryant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Is anyone else planning to get their test rescored. I definitely feel there was an error in my scoring somewhere based on the results I got.

MedGuy67 likes this.
  2. zdoc2347

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I feel like that too, especially with CARS, but I'm not sure what to expect. Anyone know how long it would take to get a new score or if it's possible for your score to decrease after getting it rescored?

3. StudyLater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is this like you got a 98 and want a 100 or is this like you got a 35% even though you studied really hard?

4. kobryant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    More like the <20%. Which is nearly impossible to get unless you walked in without even opening a book. A couple of other people had the same thing happen to them.

5. biologybum

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow aamc Fl scores?

6. studentdocftw

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wait..you got less than 20%..overall?

7. StudyLater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Did you walk in without even opening a book?

I don't get how you could get that score even if you studied/practiced just a little, unless you haven't been in a class for 5+ years or something.

8. n_buli

Medical Student
    C/P: 131
    CARS: 121
    Bio: 129
    Psych: 127

Scored a 71% on AAMC FL CARS, then apparently missed 60% of the questions during the actual exam. Meh

9. TheAnonymous

2+ Year Member

I have heard many similar bizarre stories .. people scoring 2s and 3s, on verbal while averaging 7-8s on the AAMC FLs....

Good luck with rescoring but I'd personally start preparing for a retake!

10. SkyJumper42

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Is this with multiple dates or just July test takers?

11. StudyLater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    And you are one of them.

Either it's a grading problem or you guys just got stuck with sh*tty luck and consequently tests that had a large percentage of passages which focused on your weak points. Both are possible. Let us know how the regrade goes.

12. TheAnonymous

2+ Year Member

This is from the old MCAT. I understand that it's almost impossible to score 2 on verbal or like 7 overall (again, old scale).. but every now and then it happens... the most plausible explanation that comes to my mind is that perhaps the computer didn't register your answers.... definitely ask for it to be rescored if you have the money but I would start studying to retake it... I have yet to hear a success story when it comes to rescoring your MCAT...

13. Bruskie_77

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    $60 for a rescore. I guess the AAMC thinks we're made of money. Mehhh

14. studentdocftw

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Find one successful rescore story before donating money to the AAMC...it's computer based..so I just don't find it feasible for some to have errors while others don't. Only possible explanation is maybe you skipped a whole passage? or thought you answered all of the questions but really didn't? but even in that scenario...the onus is on you. So I'm not sure how much success you'll find rescoring your exam...but good luck!

sleepyhead22 likes this.
  15. MedGuy67

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey guys I got a 499 and scored way below my normal CARS scores during prep. I just wanted to break a 500 and this was flat out demoralizing. Has anyone heard any success stories with rescoring?

16. sweetome1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah I've heard stories of people successfully getting a lower score after rescoring LOL AAMC ain't right man.

sleepyhead22, MedGuy67 and Meowgical like this.
  17. MedGuy67

lol smh

18. eartwj

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I sent in a request almost 2 weeks ago for a rescore. Did you receive yours back?

19. MedGuy67

whole thing is a waste of time

20. eartwj

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm guessing that means there was no change lol

21. MedGuy67

yea a change of about -$60 in my bank account and an overall decrease in my level of optimism about this process

ready2go2 likes this.
  22. @MedGuy67 what were your AAMC FL scores?
    I wouldn't worry about the $60. At least now your mind is at ease :)

23. Kayce

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys! Has there ever been a successful MCAT rescore? Trying to submit an appeal! Thanks! :) @kobryant

#23 Kayce, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  24. misterwiggles

Pre-Medical
    AAMC gives you this option in my opinion, so that they can crank out more $ from psycho-premeds who do below their expectation. I too scored a 78% on the CARS section in the AAMC FL and got a 122 (22%) on the real thing in Sept. You just put it behind you and start for a retake.

25. eartwj

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My rescore was not successful. With that being said, its time to prep for Jan MCAT.

26. Dede77

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi what did you decide to do? I got a 499 from my july exam date and my cars was the breaking point really... I always got 126 to 129 in practice and ended up with a 123..

27. Dede77

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How???? Let me just say that last year I took the may22 mcat which had a nationwide glitch and I was forced to void by the time I found an open seat and everything It was Aug 5 2015 and I only had 2.5 weeks of hardcore review and prep vs. for may like 2 months+. between may and aug i studied sporadically, not consistently and was doing my application etc.

496 in Aug. I was upset, but with 2.5 weeks you know? But I still thought I would hit 500 because I didn't think it was that bad.

then I took it again July 22nd 2016 and studied for more than 2 months, got EK books, did those 30 min exams. Did 2 kaplan, the AAMC scored, AAMC section banks and cars question packs and was getting 126-127-128's in EK little exams, and 500+ in kaplan FL.

I had some major complaints about this exam vs. last years. It was completely left field, but with all the effort and information I learned and committed to memory, I thought I would get above a 500 no problem. They put this philosophical mindfcking passage for the first one that everyone was complaining about and screwed our times up for CARS, I literally spent 15 mins on it and then the next one was just as bad!!! People with other exams said their cars was a breeze! CARS is usually my best section, one of my hobbies on AAMC is reading, my personal statement has an analogy to reading and here I am with 123 in CARS and a 499 on the MCAT. Also the pys/soc section was literally 90% sociology and 1o% pysch literally maybe 5 questions total- not exaggerating.

LIKE WTF! Also so far everyone I know that retook it in july only improved by 3 points like me, I heard somewhere the curve is getting harsher or something. But my friend went from a 492 to a 502 like why couldn't I improve by 10 points and be happy

So yes I was considering asking for a rescore.

28. Dede77

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Did you do better in the Jan one?

29. Nommonnom

A rescore on a pencil and paper test means someone manually grades a scantron graded test. Did any of you ask what it means to rescore a computer graded test? Run it through the same computer again?

30. premedkid1994

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    lmao I knew there was a rescore option but didn't know it was 60$.

What a ripoff and they probably make thousands off this :/

31. eartwj

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took the July 22 one and got a 501 (127/122/126/126) which is a 9 point improvement from my first time 492 (125/120/124/123). I don't think I will retake again even though my verbal was so low. I was hoping for at least a 123 because I was one question away from a 123 on the aamc scored (also 501- 127/122/126/126).

#31 eartwj, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  32. Dede77

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

did you read my above rant about the reading thing? so you don't think a 123 is bad? even though when I took it last year i got a 124?

Aug 2015 496 126/124/123/123
    July 2016 499 125/123/126/125

I studied so differently and did so much more work than I did last year so the 3pt increase is sooo upsetting tbh... I'm reapplying and I just really really needed a higher score (at least a 500+)
    I'm considering withdrawing my MD application, I only applied to 3 schools just because I didn't want to throw a bunch of money in and my score not be good enough.

I got an interview last year and I don't want to apply with this score, since when I had a meeting with the dean she basically suggested I take another year off and apply the following cycle and for me to take like 5-6 months studying for the mcat instead of like 2.5 like I did. Hearing her say that was a major blow to my confidence and it took talking and meeting with other DO and MD schools about my application for me to feel like I could do this again. But I don't want to apply there and have her see it and be like pshhh 3 point increase? Not even a 500? and not even get an interview you know?

As you can tell I'm stressing so any advice would be helpful.

33. eartwj

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am in a similar position as you. I am a reapplicant and only received one interview last year. I should have talked to them after being rejected from the waitlist what I should improve upon, but I automatically thought it was the MCAT since I got a 492... Well I retook it, did better, but I feel like I am applying too late in this cycle to get a decent number of interviews. I submitted my primary over 2 weeks ago and have been prewriting secondaries, so I'll hopefully be done submitting by mid Sept. I almost feel like id want to apply super early next cycle, but I feel like I am too far into the process to just wait and apply next year. I also am kinda anxious to get into medical school.

I think that taking her advice would be wise, but if you feel like you did absolutely everything in your power to score the highest score you possibly could (like me), do not retake it. I exhausted every AAMC resource, and feel like at best I maybe could have been a couple points higher, but to me, its not worth retaking for. I know someone who got into 4 MD schools with a 6 verbal, but he also had a near 4.0 and was URM, like myself. But seeing that you decreased in a couple of sections the second time, I think you could definitely break 503+ on a good day.

34. Dede77

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah I know I can get so much higher so that's why I'm disappointed. I haven't even told my parents I got my score back =\ I'm in the process of submitting secondaries. At least this year I picked schools that are in my range instead of last year...