research and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cobalt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi ....does anyone know if residency programs look at research/publications done before medical school? In undergraduate or during your year off, for example. And if so, how much weight would be put on this (relative to research done IN medical school)
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt much, though I'm not sure. It's like asking if med schools pay attention to research you've done while in high school.
smile.gif

W.

Beg to disagree under certain circumstances, my NYC friend. Since the vast majority of my research was before medical school, most of the focus during interviews was on that work rather than the piddly stuff I did during the last 4 years. It was one of the reasons many of the Univ programs said they had invited me for interview.

Caveat: my work was published, fairly extensive and some high-falutin' stuff. Undergrad "research" which might only entail being Chief cook and bottle washer is probably not highly valued. But if you have something more substantial IMHO it can be of benefit to you down the line.