Research and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robb1818

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I posted this before and didn't get a response so I'll try posting it here.

I'm starting med school in August. Last summer I did research which led to a first author publication and now I have the opportunity to do more research which will lead to at least one paper as co-author. The problem is that I can make MUCH more money working at my job. However, if these publications help me in the future i'll gladly make the sacrifice. My question is how valuble are publications when applying to a residency program? (I'm sure they don't hurt, but do they help?)

Also, I'm going to try to do research in while in school but I'm not sure if this will be an option. So, will research I do NOW have influence four years from now?

Thanks, any input is appreciated.

Rob

------------------
Carpe Diem

Members don't see this ad.

How much can you possibly make over the summer?

Publications and research will help you with residencies, but the golden rule is: do research in the field you'll eventually enter. Of course at this point you have no idea, but you don't do an OB/GYN project and hope to be a urologist.

Tim of New York City.

Research definitely helps. If you have a publication already, that's wonderful. If you have two, that's obviously better, but it won't carry as much weight as the first one. You have to remember that no matter how much research you do, you first have to make sure you do well in medical school. I think that would be your priority. Just that should keep you pretty busy.

I don't think that research has to be in the field that you're going to since most basic science research really uses the same thinking process as well as the same tool. Of course, if it doesn't hurt if it's in the same field.

Finally, research is really a bonus if you intend to go for specializations. If what you want is to go into primary care or family practice, you really don't need that.

I wish you good luck.
smile.gif

Regards,

------------------
waffle ;)
BU School of Medicine
MS3
Scutwork.com