Research and UNC Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsweeney

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering doing some research, but I don't have any experience doing any. I conducted a semester long research project during undergrad, but nothing long-term. What exactly does doing research entail? I have a tendency to absorb myself in whatever I am doing [school work], and I fear research may get in the way of my studies/routine. Does research entail working every day for several hours into the night or is it a part-time sort of thing? Is research something I have to get involved with immediately or can it wait until year two or even half way through year one? Would I be able to join in on a current research project already underway? I found a current research project of interest which involves disparities in dental Medicaid eligability, but I have yet to learn more about it. I am still exploring my options. I would preferrably like to get comfortable as a first year dental student and then step in to some research [training] with wet feet. Thank you for any insights.

-Richard

Members don't see this ad.

i say go for it
find an advisor and make sure they know your time constraints
my experience over the past 3 years has been really good

I say don't wait for too long. I know at some schools all the research oportunities are grabbed up pretty early on. As far as what it entails, it all depends on the project. some require a lot of time some don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
rsweeney,

I am at UNC right now too (3rd year), PM me if you want some good insight about research here at the school (like when to start) :)

I am doing some in depth research, that is quite extensive, but it hasn't been a problem for me yet.

I am going to be giving tours to your class on the 18th, so you can look for me then too.

grtuck

There are tons of research opportunities at UNC. We are consistently one of the top NIH funded schools in the country. There are all kinds of different research you can get involved with. A lot of the faculty here at UNC recommend that you focus on doing well in your classes your first year. Then during your second year or later in your first year (as soon as you feel you are in the swing of things) you can talk to the faculty you want to work with. The student research group is an excellent resource to find out about different projects. You'll learn more about it once you get here. It doesn't have to take hours every night, but it can if you want it to. You usually just join in on current projects. If you have an idea though you can apply for funding from the school.

Good Luck

rsweeney,

Any relation to John?

grtuck's comments above are very accurate. He would know... Being at UNC is nice in that you can do pretty much whatever research you want whenever you want here. Pick a project and they'll find you funding...partly due to the NIH funding thing Tarheel mentioned, and partly because the NC Dental Foundation has thousands in funds to devote to research as well.

Also most faculty will recommend that unless you are REALLY into research, don't spend too much time with it the first year or so, cause usually research is looked at as a hoop to jump through (among other things) to specialize, but research at the expense of good academic results is not too highly looked upon. They want to see you do well in class, and go from there.

I'd say talk with upperclassmen when you arrive and they can give suggestions as to what they did to get hooked up with professors/faculty, and what some of the projects they are doing are.

Thank you everybody for your insights. I got in touch with a faculty member, and it was also recommended to me to get through the first year and then anticipate doing some research during year two. I will try to contact members of our Student Research Group (SRG) soon to see if I can join the SRG now but get involved with research during year two. Thank you!!

Richard