research as an MS3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mossyfiber12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I realize that so far in med school I haven't done much except take tests. during the summer of my MS1, I was involved in a research project but the 3 months was nearly not enough to make significant impact on the project (I was pretty much working on it by myself). I want to give clinical research a shot but I am not sure whether that's feasible as a third year student. Are there any sort of research I can do for fields that I am interested in (i.e. IM,cardio, GI, hem/onc, pulm) throughout my 3rd year? Obviously, I would like to get a publication out of it, so I don't want another project that I start with a high chance of not finishing. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know one student who has continued doing research during 3rd year, but he's trying to finish up a Ph D he started before entering medical school. I'm also a second year, so I can't say for certain, but you likely won't have a lot of time to do much during 3rd year. If the lab you were working with has a project you can help out on, that might be your best bet.

Hey guys. So I realize that so far in med school I haven't done much except take tests. during the summer of my MS1, I was involved in a research project but the 3 months was nearly not enough to make significant impact on the project (I was pretty much working on it by myself). I want to give clinical research a shot but I am not sure whether that's feasible as a third year student. Are there any sort of research I can do for fields that I am interested in (i.e. IM,cardio, GI, hem/onc, pulm) throughout my 3rd year? Obviously, I would like to get a publication out of it, so I don't want another project that I start with a high chance of not finishing. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.
If you said all of those things to a few attendings you know and respect from being on the wards, you'd probably get a lot of help. As you said, your time is limited, but one can do small projects. All of your concerns are real and a faculty attending would not only understand your position, but respond pretty positively.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't necessarily count as real "research" but you can publish some case reports from patients you have seen while doing your rotations... if you've been involved with something unique!

It is possible, especially during less hectic rotations.

case reports or even just an abstract competition will work