Research before and after matriculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdf4321

Accepted UNECOM 2017!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen from other students' posts on SDN, conducting research and publishing while in medical school is important for residency opportunities.

By the time I start class next fall, I will be out of school for nearly two years. In that time, I was an associate researcher at a National Lab where I authored three technical reports for several government agencies, and participated in three poster presentations at biotech symposiums. Since that time, I have been working for a medical device corporation where I conduct clinical research and, once again, submit technical publications for the FDA.

How relevant is my background for residency applications? I currently have the technical reports categorized under "publications" on my CV. Is this the correct place for it?

Finally, I think I know the answer to this, but should I seek to publish in peer reviewed journals while in medical school?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat, published in prestigous journals during undergrad and grad school. I've seen several threads that encourage putting pre-med-school-matriculation publications on the residency app. In those same threads, I've seen several posters say that it is not common (unless you're in a combined MD/PhD or DO/PhD program) to publish while in med school. It is my hope to continue to publish while still in school, but I guess only time will tell. Good luck!

Last edited:
Well, let's keep this post going and maybe someone has an answer for us.

Sent from my Droid using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat, and everything I've heard from residents and attendings corroborates the above:

- DO include peer-reviewed publications / abstracts / posters based on research prior to med school
- DON'T include EC's like volunteering / shadowing done prior to med school

I'm in the same boat, and everything I've heard from residents and attendings corroborates the above:

- DO include peer-reviewed publications / abstracts / posters based on research prior to med school
- DON'T include EC's like volunteering / shadowing done prior to med school

How are technical reports categorized? Such as publications to FDA and DHS which may never see the light of day. A lot of work I did for the national lab is confidential, but I still feel that I should get a little recognition for it...

Sent from my Droid using SDN Mobile