Research During 3rd Year??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get into some research projects at institutions outside of my med school but I'm about to start my 3rd year in a few weeks. From my current perspective, it seems like you're just crazy with rotations (especially surgery and ob/gyn) but I really need to get some research experience under my belt in the field I want to go into.....So my question is, do you really have time to devote yourself to volunteering at a lab while in your 3rd year?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot speak from experience, but I have heard people taking a year off between their 2nd and 3rd year to do research. There may be other alternatives though. What are you looking to get into in particular? Maybe someone from that field can give you some first-hand advice.

Triage said:
I cannot speak from experience, but I have heard people taking a year off between their 2nd and 3rd year to do research. There may be other alternatives though. What are you looking to get into in particular? Maybe someone from that field can give you some first-hand advice.

i'm interested in going into child psych, so i'm looking at psych research projects in the NYC area

Members don't see this ad :)
You have much more time 3rd and 4th year for things like research than you do in the pre-clinical years.

Taking time off may not be a bad option if you are really set on research, or talk to your school about scheduling some of your electives as research time.

I just recently involved myself with clinical research. It requires varying amount of times to come in and meet with the PI and a research fellow. Right now its been more about data acquisition through research and going through old cases.

I'd prob spend more time with it but I'm not affiliated with the hospital where I'm doing the research at. So it takes me like 45 mins to get and leave there.

One of the IMG books I saw on matching said it was a positive thing if could juggle research and clerkships. SHows that you are serious and dedicated.

it takes a lot of time mangement.

Samoa said:
That is some good crack you're smoking. :laugh:

Thats how it seems to be working out for me.

22 rotations down and more free time than when I was sitting in class 40 hours a week.

i dont think this should be the time for research, im almost done with my fourth year, and i think you should focus on your rotations during 2nd and third years...unless of course you think you can handle it

drbon said:
I'm looking to get into some research projects at institutions outside of my med school but I'm about to start my 3rd year in a few weeks. From my current perspective, it seems like you're just crazy with rotations (especially surgery and ob/gyn) but I really need to get some research experience under my belt in the field I want to go into.....So my question is, do you really have time to devote yourself to volunteering at a lab while in your 3rd year?? :confused:

The general advice thrown around my school when you talk to folks is that it's really not worth risking your 3rd year grades (basically the most important thing you have when applying to residency) to get in some a little bit of research (not super important generally even for competitive residencies) during the clinical years. The bottom line is that what you'd have time for probably won't result in anything great anyway, and you don't want to be annoying your team by not being 100% focused on your ward work.

I'm sure you can do it if you have superb time management schools and have no life outside of school, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

so if you don't really have time for research during your third year (i'm NOT one of those people that lives breathes and eats medicine 24/7) when do people usually do it? i did some between my 1st and 2nd year, almost got a paper published but didn't....i'm scared that it's not enough....

drbon said:
so if you don't really have time for research during your third year (i'm NOT one of those people that lives breathes and eats medicine 24/7) when do people usually do it? i did some between my 1st and 2nd year, almost got a paper published but didn't....i'm scared that it's not enough....

Can you take a month elective to finish off your research some time during third year? Four full weeks of full time work should hopefully get it done if you were close before.