Research during a pathology residency.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanomed Dreams

Budding Pathologist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that it's common to do research during pathology residencies.

1. Is this true?
2. What kind of research do people do?
3. Is research a direct part of the residency, or the kind of thing you arrange independently with labs?
4. Is it just for experience, or in order to earn another degree (MS or PhD)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Nanomed Dreams said:

1. Is this true?
3. Is research a direct part of the residency, or the kind of thing you arrange independently with labs?

Thanks.
1. It depends on where you're at. There are quite a few pathologists who have no desire to do research. Some programs are big on research, at those programs I would suspect that it is common to do research. At other programs that are more geared to producing private practice pathologists, probably less common.

2. During residency, the research projects tend to be small. On the AP side for example, you will procure like a bunch of a specific type of tumor or tumors. Then you buy commercial antibodies and do some IHC stains. These type of projects are not time intensive and can be done concurrently during a tough month such as surg path. On the CP side, small projects involving the development of a new lab test perhaps.

3. Research is something that depends on your own initiative. You can do it if you want. Nobody is gonna force it upon your during residency.

4. Usually it is just for experience. However, there are some places where you can do the research to satisfy PhD requirements. For instance, there is the STAR program at UCLA.

Nanomed Dreams said:
1. Is this true?
Yes.
Nanomed Dreams said:
You name it, somebody's doing it.
Nanomed Dreams said:
Depends on where you are.
Nanomed Dreams said:
Almost always for the experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nanomed Dreams said:

1. Is this true?

Thanks.
Dude, have you read nothing on this board? Get a ****ing clue! This is all you need to know about research and path:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/dmarsee/******ed.jpg

Don't do it, man - even you're pets will hate you for being so poor.
pleasekillme_rio25.jpg

Sorry, but only fools would sully their life in path by attempting research. :rolleyes:

wow geddy, i can't believe you had the courage to post a picture of a ******ed kid. somebody's bound to get offended.

AndyMilonakis said:
wow geddy, i can't believe you had the courage to post a picture of a ******ed kid. somebody's bound to get offended.
I figured since LADoc isn't on now, somebody had to pick up the slack.

geddy said:
I figured since LADoc isn't on now, somebody had to pick up the slack.

bravo geddy bravo.

btw, you need to get rid of hasselhoff man...i'm sorry but it kinda makes you look...

AndyMilonakis said:
bravo geddy bravo.

btw, you need to get rid of hasselhoff man...i'm sorry but it kinda makes you look...
You know, I am trying to line up some appropriate ones for after Thurs, depending on wherre I go. Hmm... I'll go look for a replacement for Hasselhoff, lest the ladies get edgy.

geddy said:
Sorry, but only fools would sully their life in path by attempting research. :rolleyes:

Day 1,500 of PhD program:

fg.stewie.suckle-800X600.jpg

Damn geddy, I'm surprised too. But you're certainly doing a good job filling a niche. ;)

Anyways, I'm confused, what's with the recent research-related venom around here? The peeps who want to do it should do it, and those who don't, should not, and the two should leave each other the hell alone.

cytoborg said:
Damn geddy, I'm surprised too. But you're certainly doing a good job filling a niche. ;)

Anyways, I'm confused, what's with the recent research-related venom around here? The peeps who want to do it should do it, and those who don't, should not, and the two should leave each other the hell alone.
I really don't think it's venom as much as people trying to amuse themselves. You're aboslutely right. But it's interesting to watch them go. Sure beats mud-wrestling :D

geddy where did you get that Futility poster? I want one!

Members don't see this ad :)
deschutes said:
I really don't think it's venom as much as people trying to amuse themselves. You're aboslutely right. But it's interesting to watch them go. Sure beats mud-wrestling :D

geddy where did you get that Futility poster? I want one!
I used my own Photshop skillz to replace one originally made for Optho.

cytoborg said:
I'm happy you like it - try as I might, however, I just can't bring myself to post something with excrement in it.

geddy said:
I'm happy you like it - try as I might, however, I just can't bring myself to post something with excrement in it.
I guess we're not all lucky enough to possess the shat-posting skillz of Andy and LADoc.

geddy said:
nope, that's my assigned job.

your avatar is better.

geddy said:
And that is where Andy comes in.

If you two match to the same place you'll bring the house down.

deschutes said:
And that is where Andy comes in.

If you two match to the same place you'll bring the house down.
geddy, i dunno if it's a sunday and i'm feelin' religious 'n **** but i'm feelin' pretty good about our chances on Thursday.

deschutes said:
Heck, I'm feeling pretty good right about my chances on Thursday.

At least if I didn't match I can say I felt loved for awhile.
You gettin your first choice too :thumbup:

AndyMilonakis said:
geddy, i dunno if it's a sunday and i'm feelin' religious 'n **** but i'm feelin' pretty good about our chances on Thursday.
Me too... I've felt pretty good for a while, actually. Just trying to keep overconfidence in check.

Seriously, although it sounds cliche, I will be happy at any of my top 5 picks. The difference between 1 and the rest was not that huge, to me, when I made my list.

geddy said:
Me too... I've felt pretty good for a while, actually. Just trying to keep overconfidence in check.
you're more of an optimist than i am.

Monday - I will come into lab and somebody will ask me, "Have you found out where you're going?" For the 16000th time. NO!

Tuesday - I think I will start to get the jitters here. I will read about playing craps on this day. Yes. I think that would be the prudent thing to do.

Wednesday - Jitters will continue and worsen as the day goes by.

Thursday - who the hell knows.

Here's to feelin good...the pathology gods are on our side this week.

AndyMilonakis said:
you're more of an optimist than i am.

Monday - I will come into lab and somebody will ask me, "Have you found out where you're going?" For the 16000th time. NO!

Tuesday - I think I will start to get the jitters here. I will read about playing craps on this day. Yes. I think that would be the prudent thing to do.

Wednesday - Jitters will continue and worsen as the day goes by.

Thursday - who the hell knows.
Come on. You have nothing to worry about. If you do, then I should be crapping my pants right now.

geddy said:
Seriously, although it sounds cliche, I will be happy at any of my top 5 picks. The difference between 1 and the rest was not that huge, to me, when I made my list.
Agreed. My 1-3 were extremely close, all spent time at #1 and I'll be thrilled at any of em.

cytoborg said:
Come on. You have nothing to worry about. If you do, then I should be crapping my pants right now.
Shush! Remember what I said wheels--I'm approaching this whole Match as #1 or bust.

AndyMilonakis said:
Yeah, this is getting really old. Does "St. Patrick's Day" mean nothing to you *****s? Sorry mom, not you.

geddy said:
Yeah, this is getting really old. Does "St. Patrick's Day" mean nothing to you *****s? Sorry mom, not you.
I've had at least one person in the lab ask me that everyday this past week.

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY!!!

AndyMilonakis said:
Shush! Remember what I said wheels--I'm approaching this whole Match as #1 or bust.
Ah yes, that's right. Now, I'm curious, is this a philosophic approach, or did you just love BW that much more than the rest?

cytoborg said:
Ah yes, that's right. Now, I'm curious, is this a philosophic approach, or did you just love BW that much more than the rest?
yes. i loved it a year ago too when discussing programs with my research boss and path adviser. there was no method to the madness. no equations. no tables. it was my #1 going into the application season and it did not budge as i went to all my interviews.

seriously, if i don't match there though, it's not like i'm gonna cry like a little bitch. life goes on.

I'll have a full bottle of Woodford Reserve.

AndyMilonakis said:
yes. i loved it a year ago too when discussing programs with my research boss and path adviser. there was no method to the madness. no equations. no tables. it was my #1 going into the application season and it did not budge as i went to all my interviews.

seriously, if i don't match there though, it's not like i'm gonna cry like a little bitch. life goes on.
Awww, now there's no shame in crying, Andy. In the midst of the screaming-jumping-up-and-down-crying-hugging madness that is Match Day, I'm sure no one will notice.

Seriously, I've been to past Match Days, and they are intense. I almost don't even want to go, and just open my envelope in peace.

cytoborg said:
Seriously, I've been to past Match Days, and they are intense. I almost don't even want to go, and just open my envelope in peace.
I'd like to get my envelope and leave immediately. Can you do this? I don't really know anyone in my class, so there's no point in going, except to find out.

geddy said:
I'd like to get my envelope and leave immediately. Can you do this? I don't really know anyone in my class, so there's no point in going, except to find out.
yeah, that's why i'm debating whether i should go or not. what's wrong with sitting here in lab here with my friends, getting the email, and then moving to the conference room where some sort of festivities will ensue.

deschutes said:
There is a lag then, between the envelope and email?

Dammit! Why do I always have to wait longer than everyone else.
here there is a lag in that you can get your envelope at 12:30 pm. the email arrives at approx. 1 pm.

AndyMilonakis said:
here there is a lag in that you can get your envelope at 12:30 pm. the email arrives at approx. 1 pm.
Wow - we open envelopes at noon, so we can get them at 11:30.

AndyMilonakis said:
yeah, that's why i'm debating whether i should go or not. what's wrong with sitting here in lab here with my friends, getting the email, and then moving to the conference room where some sort of festivities will ensue.
Does your school do the thing where each person puts a dollar in a jar, and the last person to get their envelope wins the money? The potential for cash is an incentive.

geddy said:
Wow - we open envelopes at noon, so we can get them at 11:30.
Damn! We open ours at 1, so we get them at 12:30. Is this a time zone thing, or is my school just ******ed?

cytoborg said:
Does your school do the thing where each person puts a dollar in a jar, and the last person to get their envelope wins the money? The potential for cash is an incentive.
sorry i was mistaken. we could find out as early as 12:05 pm. as for the mechanics of Match Day here, I cut and pasted from our class forum.

10:30 – 11:30 Breakfast Buffet Brunch [eating]
11:30 – 12:00 Video [some visuals about the school, I guess all the pics that have recently been asked for will be here.]
12:00 (Noon) Champagne Toast [obvious]
12:05 – 12:30 Match Preview [There is a break where people can step outside of the banquet room and if they want to can take a look at their envelope. People can not look/look and put their envelope back in the pile/look and keep their envelope.]
12:30 - Match Results

[On stage zink, glick, other attendings randomly pick an envelope from the pile. The person comes up and puts a dollar in a bowl and then reads their result. Then they step off stage and put a pin on a big map indicating where they matched. Next person is called, etc. Last person called keeps all the money in the bowl.]

AndyMilonakis said:

That is definitely what I would do. (Not that anyone asked :laugh: )

AndyMilonakis said:
[On stage zink, glick, other attendings randomly pick an envelope from the pile. The person comes up and puts a dollar in a bowl and then reads their result. Then they step off stage and put a pin on a big map indicating where they matched. Next person is called, etc. Last person called keeps all the money in the bowl.]
:eek: That sounds potentially traumatic. Not to mention time-consuming.

I think after we read our results, we go our separate ways to continue the screaming-crying-hugging elsewhere, and to commence with the drinking.

AndyMilonakis said:
as for the mechanics of Match Day here, I cut and pasted from our class forum.
Wow. Drama at high noon.

AndyMilonakis said:
10:30 – 11:30 Breakfast Buffet Brunch [eating]
By 10:30, I would definitely call it a brunch :laugh:

I think it is a sign that my #1 is actually on the map for my class.
(Then again, so is my #6. :rolleyes: )

beary said:
That is definitely what I would do. (Not that anyone asked :laugh: )
ok i've made my decision. i'm bringin a few bottles of champagne to lab for the others to drink. i'll be bringin' a foh-ty for myself.

AndyMilonakis said:
ok i've made my decision. i'm bringin a few bottles of champagne to lab for the others to drink. i'll be bringin' a foh-ty for myself.
Excellent - pop quiz. When you match at your number 1 choice, do you respond by:

A) Jumping up and down and screaming hysteically
B) Crying like a baby and calling your mom
C) "GodDAMN! That's some good Colt 45!"

Havarti666 said:
You name it, somebody's doing it.

Ok, but how far does the variety extend? Does pathology as "the study of disease" hold out? What about immunology or genetics as related to disease processes? I'm just curious what types of research are "acceptable" for pathologists to do.