research during medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wAyRadikull

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question... how does one go about doing research during medical school, say typically 3rd and 4th year. Is it just a matter of linking up with an attending who is open to the idea or are there other ways?

P.S: i've searched it earlier, but whatever came up was in the pre-allo or md/phd thread!

Members don't see this ad.

I sent an e-mail to the PD of 1 department, and he offered me research. I later talked to another faculty about doing bench research over the summer, and he lined me up with meetings to talk to 3 other faculty of my choice. All you have to do is ask. Sometimes it takes a few more e-mails than 1 (I guess I'm just lucky) but don't give up. Tons of faculty need help with research.

I sent an e-mail to the PD of 1 department, and he offered me research. I later talked to another faculty about doing bench research over the summer, and he lined me up with meetings to talk to 3 other faculty of my choice. All you have to do is ask. Sometimes it takes a few more e-mails than 1 (I guess I'm just lucky) but don't give up. Tons of faculty need help with research.

+1

Just ask around and you'll find someone who needs help.

I don't know how well connected your school's "interest groups" are, but here they are very useful in getting students plugged in with faculty projects. If you're interested in, say, ortho research you might check with the faculty advisor for that student interest group and see if they have the names of colleagues looking for cheap labor.

Good deal.. thanks a lot guys