Research during second year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ludy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second-year, and I chose to do a clinical externship rather than research this summer. I'd like to do clinical research at some point, and I've heard it's better to do it early to show an interest, i.e., during the first or second year. Just wondering if any third-years or beyond could comment on doing research during the second year... is there time? Would you advise it?

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my second-year and will be a third-year in a couple of days. Last summer, after my first-year, I did a combination of clinical research and an "externship" (which really amounted to nothing more than holding stuff during surgery) and tried to continue the research into the year. I honestly couldn't put the time into all that and keep up my grades.

Second-year is very difficult compared to first-year. I'd put more time into my studies and try to have a life outside the classroom rather than burnout trying to juggle class, research, and some semblance of a life. Save whatever clinical research you want to do for your third-year/fourth-year when you have more of a "fund of knowledge" to speak intelligently about your projects.

Believe it or not, even after one-year of medical school those articles don't make much sense -- knowing pathology, pathophys, and micro helps out a lot. :)