Research during years 1 and 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samedicine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting school in August, and was wondering if it is unusual to get involved in research during the preclinical years. My father, a physician, is of the mind that I should drop everything and concentrate on classes and generally preparing myself for step 1, but I would like some input from those of you still in medical school.

Thanks for your thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how quickly you are able to take in information. The key for the first two years is to maintain steady grades and EC's. If you are interested in a competitive residency then you want to try and attain status with AOA. I for one do fine in my classes and work on two separate research projects. My aim is to have three items (publications/national presentations) with my name on them by the time I finish my second year. This should set me up for residency application and begins the networking process which is sometime more important than grades. If the department head likes you and you have a relationship with him, you are more like to receive the spot even if a competitor has better credentials.

Q

samedicine said:
I am starting school in August, and was wondering if it is unusual to get involved in research during the preclinical years. My father, a physician, is of the mind that I should drop everything and concentrate on classes and generally preparing myself for step 1, but I would like some input from those of you still in medical school.

Thanks for your thoughts

look at research or pubs as a hobby, and do it in moderation. I know many who did bad on the step 1 cuz their research got in the way of their studying. This also might happen to me, but i dont know, im trying to calm down and get more serious cuz I got step 1 coming up soon. Personally, I would just focus on school for the first semester and get used to it. Then if u can handle it, meet some dept chairs and get started on some projects for publications in December.

But if u arent doing well in school, then save the research for the summer after MS1 or during the breaks u get.

Also, make sure u can get publsihed. Nothing sucks more than putting in your time and not getting a publication out of it. For this u need to research the the docs at ur school and see who are putting out the publiscations, and hooking up the students, for this u mioght wanna ask some MS2s MS3s in ur school.

Remember research is cool, but not if u are failing ur classes.
later

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're a research freak, don't waste your time. Just study hard and get good grades. If you're at the top of your class, that will open the most doors for you. Research is just an adjunct on your CV. It may lift an eyebrow of a program director, but it won't get you an interview if you don't have the USMLE scores and class rank that are vital.

samedicine said:

Thanks for your thoughts
why don't you wait til you are on your psych rotation to do it?
or do it the summer after first year of med school?
Second year is when you study for step 1 so screw that
Just a suggestion :)

If you want to do reserach do it the summer between MS1-MS2 year. Just be sure that your boss will 1) put out a paper sometime soon thereafter and 2) add your name to the author list. You can probably squeeze in some more the third year if you're really ambitious, definitely M4 year without too much trouble. All depends on what specialty you choose - some like research, many don't give a flip.