Research Elective Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Binary010

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m a US MD student in the early stages of planning an elective abroad. I’m hoping to do research in Germany, as I speak German and have connections there. My question is how such a research project (and potentially conference presentation) would be viewed in my residency apps. The research would almost certainly be non-generalizable to my future patient population, but would they care?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I’m a US MD student in the early stages of planning an elective abroad. I’m hoping to do research in Germany, as I speak German and have connections there. My question is how such a research project (and potentially conference presentation) would be viewed in my residency apps. The research would almost certainly be non-generalizable to my future patient population, but would they care?

Where in Germany? Make sure it's a reputable place that US PDs might know.

Any research is useful. Whether or not it's related to what you ultimately go into is just bonus points. Sure, it'd be nice if things work out that way, but if you end up doing something completely unrelated to your field of interest that doesn't invalidate the experience.