Research elective worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamochacreampie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important/useful is a research away? I have research experience but none in derm and I'm actually interested in derm basic science research but obviously I want to use aways to maximize my chances of getting interviews/matching.

Right now I'm planning on doing 2 clinicals and 1 research away but would it be better to do 4 clinical aways or is that overkill? Would it be ok to just do 1 clinical and 1 research? I'm not sure how it's gonna play out with all this VSAS stuff...

Members don't see this ad.

How important/useful is a research away? I have research experience but none in derm and I'm actually interested in derm basic science research but obviously I want to use aways to maximize my chances of getting interviews/matching.

Right now I'm planning on doing 2 clinicals and 1 research away but would it be better to do 4 clinical aways or is that overkill? Would it be ok to just do 1 clinical and 1 research? I'm not sure how it's gonna play out with all this VSAS stuff...

A research away may be useful in terms of getting an interview or making a favorable impression. It will not be helpful to report as "genuine" research.

Your plan of 2 clinicals (presumably one at home, one away) plus 1 research sounds about right. 4 aways, if done properly, could result in 4 courtesy interviews. I have yet to meet a medical student who can demonstrate the same enthusiasm and drive throughout 4 interviews. This is through no fault of their own, but rather the setup of most programs. It is primarily (at least programs I've had a chance to observe) an observatory rotation. All it takes is one slipup, one moment of perceived disinterest to sink you. I would not recommend 4 aways unless your paper application is phenomenally weak. 1 clinical and 1 research could work as well but in this day and age of cramming in as many aways as possible, I think a middle ground of 2 clinicals and 1 research is probably best.

A research away may be useful in terms of getting an interview or making a favorable impression. It will not be helpful to report as "genuine" research.

Your plan of 2 clinicals (presumably one at home, one away) plus 1 research sounds about right. 4 aways, if done properly, could result in 4 courtesy interviews. I have yet to meet a medical student who can demonstrate the same enthusiasm and drive throughout 4 interviews. This is through no fault of their own, but rather the setup of most programs. It is primarily (at least programs I've had a chance to observe) an observatory rotation. All it takes is one slipup, one moment of perceived disinterest to sink you. I would not recommend 4 aways unless your paper application is phenomenally weak. 1 clinical and 1 research could work as well but in this day and age of cramming in as many aways as possible, I think a middle ground of 2 clinicals and 1 research is probably best.

Thanks for your guidance! It is reassuring. Two clinicals would both be away since my school does not have a program.

what do these research electives usually entail and do you have any recommendations on good programs to do them at?