Worth taking an extra year to increase chances of matching Derm?

Jan 6, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi,

I am a rising freshman at a mid-tier BS/MD program that is 7 years long. I have the option of taking an extra year of undergrad (making it 8 years) to apply out to top medical schools. The MD school in this 7 year program has a dermatology residency and has research opportunities. Is it worth taking an extra year of undergrad for the chance of going to a top medical school in order to increase my future competitiveness for dermatology residency (another field I am interested in is GI)? I know that dermatology is the most competitive residency and I know that the competitiveness will only increase 7 to 8 years from now.

Thanks in advance!

sore eye asses

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Derm reached its peak competitiveness 2008-2010. It’s all downhill from there. PE encroachment, PA encroachment, devaluation of dermatology billing codes, recent trends of lower starting salaries (my own observation past 2-3 years). Agree with above that you’re looking too far in advance. My recommendation is to pursue psychiatry, you’ll have a huge built in base of patients (i.e. burnt out and depressed physicians) to draw from.

Reactions: 5 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.