Worth taking an extra year to increase chances of matching Derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_doc9898

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a rising freshman at a mid-tier BS/MD program that is 7 years long. I have the option of taking an extra year of undergrad (making it 8 years) to apply out to top medical schools. The MD school in this 7 year program has a dermatology residency and has research opportunities. Is it worth taking an extra year of undergrad for the chance of going to a top medical school in order to increase my future competitiveness for dermatology residency (another field I am interested in is GI)? I know that dermatology is the most competitive residency and I know that the competitiveness will only increase 7 to 8 years from now.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Derm reached its peak competitiveness 2008-2010. It’s all downhill from there. PE encroachment, PA encroachment, devaluation of dermatology billing codes, recent trends of lower starting salaries (my own observation past 2-3 years). Agree with above that you’re looking too far in advance. My recommendation is to pursue psychiatry, you’ll have a huge built in base of patients (i.e. burnt out and depressed physicians) to draw from.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am a rising freshman at a mid-tier BS/MD program that is 7 years long. I have the option of taking an extra year of undergrad (making it 8 years) to apply out to top medical schools. The MD school in this 7 year program has a dermatology residency and has research opportunities. Is it worth taking an extra year of undergrad for the chance of going to a top medical school in order to increase my future competitiveness for dermatology residency (another field I am interested in is GI)? I know that dermatology is the most competitive residency and I know that the competitiveness will only increase 7 to 8 years from now.

Thanks in advance!

You are flat out wrong on every count.

Dont waste your time. A) your very unlikely to end up in the field you think in MS1, i ended up in the field i least expected B) every year you waste is $250k++ in income wasted (which invested early is millions by your retirement date) C) your most likely to end up at your home derm program anyway D) derm will be slightly less competitive by the time you are done bc of lower reimbursement for everything except cash cosmetic procedures

Reactions: 2 users
Dont waste your time. A) your very unlikely to end up in the field you think in MS1, i ended up in the field i least expected B) every year you waste is $250k++ in income wasted (which invested early is millions by your retirement date) C) your most likely to end up at your home derm program anyway D) derm will be slightly less competitive by the time you are done bc of lower reimbursement for everything except cash cosmetic procedures

Even some of those might go down. If there are NPs on every street corner doing botox, then that drives prices down as well.

Even some of those might go down. If there are NPs on every street corner doing botox, then that drives prices down as well.

As Charles Crutchfield quipped, “I don’t do $8/unit Botox, I FIX $8/unit Botox.”

Reactions: 2 users