Research experience and interest match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

kiilcancer

Hi y'all
I just want your opinions..
How would you feel about a student (me) who has had basic science (mol.bio.)research experience, but is interested in applied science (pharmacology)? My interest is in cancer, and I would like to research on chemo reagents.. Does this make me sound indecisive?
Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Kiilcancer

Members don't see this ad.

kiilcancer said:
Hi y'all
How would you feel about a student (me) who has had basic science (mol.bio.)research experience, but is interested in applied science (pharmacology)? My interest is in cancer, and I would like to research on chemo reagents.. Does this make me sound indecisive?
Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Kiilcancer

I'm assuming student means undergrad. In the long term NO ONE will care what your undergrad research is on. You're not expected as an undergrad to have accurately selected a field for your career. Explore, but keep in mind the following balance. You have to stay in one spot long enough to get a good LOR, and be able to talk about it intelligently for interviews. However, you shouldn't stay somewhere if something else is really enticing you.

If you stay in molecular, but you want to interview with some pharmacology prof's, most schools will accomodate you. As long as you know a decent amount about their field (read as many reviews as possible), there's no need to worry.

kiilcancer said:
Hi y'all
Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Kiilcancer

hey bro, that's what MY research is on, and that's what I want to go into! Stop coppin my steeze!
Just kidding. No man, its better that way. You can't hope to just continue down the path that your PI did and apply that to medicine...always be thinking HOW and WHY this is making you want to go into cancer research. When it comes time to explain yourself, you'll be fine.