research experience necessary?

Started by bruin16
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bruin16

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was looking through statistics for a lot of people and it seems like most people with my stats have had research experience and are published, which worries me a lot. I've worked for the last 2.5 yrs in a dermatology office in the back office so I've had a lot of hands-on clinical experience. I also was a study coordinator assistant for a couple of studies we did in the office. My gpa was a 3.71 and im expecting my mcat score to be around a 34/35. I also had some other leadership activities such as one of the coordinators for a sexual violence seminar and i was a camp counselor for children from underserved communities. Do I have any shot at going to one of the top schools with a lack of research experience? Right now I am taking a year off from school while i apply and am working full time still at the derm office as well as volunteering a few hours a week at a hospital internship where i get to observe a lot of surgeries in different departments of the hospital. A professor told me i might be able to work in his lab as a sort of lab assistant once or twice a week (but i would not be the one doing the research). Is this worth it? Or do you think it's necessary that I quit my job to try to find a job doing research in order to get into a good school? I would like to do research because I find it interesting but never found the time as an undergraduate with my work and other activities. Now that I have told my work I would stay until I got into med school, I would feel bad leaving. If it would increase my chances of getting into med school drastically, I would definitely do it though.