MD WAMC/School List - ORM 3.92 cGPA, 522 MCAT, low research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

miso_soup10

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

Hello! I submitted my primary on 6/1 and would appreciate any guidance/feedback on finalizing my school list to 30 schools max.

Demographic: I am 23F Asian American, WA resident, Biology at T50 undergrad.

Stats:
cGPA = 3.92, sGPA = 3.91
MCAT = 514 1st attempt (129/127/128/130) and 522 2nd attempt (131/128/131/132)

Clinical Experience:
Paid
1. 4 years working for a mobile health clinic organization catered toward underserved populations
2. Started working this March as a night shift CNA
3. Worked as a dental assistant my Junior year (800 hours)
1. Volunteered at the Children's Hospital (300 hours)
2. Spent last summer volunteering at a geropsych inpatient unit (50 hours)
3. Patient escort (100 hours)

Research Experience:
250 hours my Senior year in a genetic cancer research lab, no pubs, 1 poster presentation at the university's undergraduate research symposium.

Shadowing
40 hours shadowing doctors/PAs/NPs in a rural WA town (family med)
40 hours in an outpatient family medicine clinic
8 hours in an inpatient family medicine unit
8 hours outpatient pediatric clinic

Non-clinical volunteering
80 hours at the local young adult shelter (ongoing)

Other ECs:
2 quarters teaching (non-TA position)
250 hours President of my university's chapter of a global health organization
80 hours outreach chair at my university's chapter of a youth mental health organization
Listed baking as a hobby

LORs:
2 science professors, one which I taught anatomy with
1 non-science professor
1 from my PI
1 from my supervisor at the mobile health clinic
1 from my dentist (Worked directly with her, but not sure if it would be weird to have a letter from a dentist rather than a physician?)
1 from my volunteer supervisor

Additional Comments
One concern is my low research experience/productivity for top schools. Not because I am necessarily aiming for top schools, but because I feel like my higher stats puts me in an awkward place where lower-tier schools might reject me due to yield protection (though this is just something that I heard and could be misinformed about).

School List: (I understand that this is very top-heavy at the moment and am looking to cut down)
UW
UCSF
Stanford
NYU grossman
Yale
UMich
Northwestern
UPitt
UChicago
Northwestern
Icahn
Emory
Case Western
UCLA
UCSD
UVirginia
Keck
Brown
UMiami
BU
Dartmouth
Rochester
UColorado
Tufts
Georgetown
Jefferson-Kimmel
Wake Forest
Kaiser
UA - Phoenix
Tulane
Temple
 
Last edited:
Some schools screen at 150 hours for non clinical volunteering. I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Washington
Washington State
UMass
Tufts
Boston University
Vermont
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
George Washington
U Virginia
Duke
Wake Forest
Emory
USF Morsani
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Ohio State
Case Western
Cincinnati
Mayo
Colorado
Iowa
Arizona (Phoenix)
Kaiser
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Welcome to the forums.

Why are Washington State or PNWU (DO) not listed?
Hello, thank you for pointing that out - I do have Washington State on my list but forgot to copy it over onto here. I haven't included PNWU as I currently plan on applying just MD, but would be open to adding it as well.


Are there any schools in my list that you feel would be best taken off? Thank you again for your time!
 
Some schools screen at 150 hours for non clinical volunteering. I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Washington
Washington State
UMass
Tufts
Boston University
Vermont
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
George Washington
U Virginia
Duke
Wake Forest
Emory
USF Morsani
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Ohio State
Case Western
Cincinnati
Mayo
Colorado
Iowa
Arizona (Phoenix)
Kaiser
Thank you for the list! I'm assuming the schools here don't screen for non clinical volunteering under 150 hours then?
 
Many more applicants in the pool simply have more hours than you do that it's easy to screen you out. (I have.)
I see, that makes sense. Is there any chance that good writing/reflections and a strong personal statement could help move my app forward a bit? (I guess I'm thinking of a more holistic review) I'm hoping to volunteer more this summer and give an update through my secondaries.
 
I see, that makes sense. Is there any chance that good writing/reflections and a strong personal statement could help move my app forward a bit? (I guess I'm thinking of a more holistic review) I'm hoping to volunteer more this summer and give an update through my secondaries.

Holistic review doesn't compensate for shortcomings that may argue your lack of mission alignment.
 
Generally speaking, you don’t want to ask for letters from folks that you expect “Will be ‘generally’ strong” if you have a choice. You want STRENGHT.