Research Fellowship ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yashtech

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ..

I am IMG (US citizen) interested in doing Cardiology fellowship after residency. I have graduated from medical school couple of years back (USMLE scores are quite high).

I would like to know whether a voluntary research fellowship in cards (reputed hospital) is worth doing . I am inclined to enroll in degree program in a well reputed univ.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We need more information. Have you done medicine residency? I do think research fellowship would be more helpful in terms of getting into cards fellowship than a master's degree would be, though you haven't told us what the Master's degree would be in.

The most important factors in getting into a cards fellowship vs. not would be where you did med school, where you did residency and how well people say you did, and letters of recommendation. High USMLE scores could also be helpful, but even with that the match rate for IMG's isn't so good. There are quite a few US allopathic grads each year who don't get in to cards fellowship either.

I'd be inclined to aggressively pursue a medicine residency, at the best place you can find, if you aren't already a resident. I'd think that the more years you have taken off since med school, the harder it might be to find a good residency spot, though I don't have personal experience with being an IMG.

Best of luck.

I have not joined residency .. I am not inclined to do research ..

The degree is from dept of epi ..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion would be to get yourself in to an internal medicine residency ASAP. I think the epidemiology degree or research should come after that, should you need to do it to strengthen your fellowship application. The best way to get a lead on a cardiology fellowship spot would be to get to know faculty at a residency program. Getting in to cardiology will be HARD as an IMG, but some do get in every year. Your high USMLE scores will help somewhat.

oops

Last edited:
Thanks to dragonfly99..

I am joining HF research in Quebec ..