Research Field if interested in plastic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OrangeCaramel

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a pre-med interested in plastic surgery as future potential specialty. So naturally I have tried to reach out to PRS faculty for potential PRS research opportunities to no avail. The PRS department for nearby medical school isn't very large.

If I want to specialize in PRS, what are some other specialties I could do research in? How about dermatology research?

Another important point: I'm looking for lab opportunities, since I have very little exposure in a lab. This is part of the problem, since there is only 1 PRS lab operating at my school.

Thanks!
 
Research experience is about becoming familiar with the process of research (hypothesis testing, publication etc.) not becoming familiar with medical research, let alone medical research regarding your specialty of interest at age 20. Get anything that you can at your university and this will be great.

edit: When I mean anything I mean ecology, physics, whatever you feel like. Do not limit yourself to seeking out only opportunities for medical research
 
I'm a pre-med interested in plastic surgery as future potential specialty. So naturally I have tried to reach out to PRS faculty for potential PRS research opportunities to no avail. The PRS department for nearby medical school isn't very large.
Well...good luck with the match.

Derm =/= plastics by a long shot. Plastics is actually mostly trauma so maybe trauma center clinical research if you can get any.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Derm =/= plastics by a long shot. Plastics is actually mostly trauma so maybe trauma center clinical research if you can get any.

Yeah you are right, derm is pretty far from PRS I like the idea of trauma though, thank you!

Research experience is about becoming familiar with the process of research (hypothesis testing, publication etc.) not becoming familiar with medical research, let alone medical research regarding your specialty of interest at age 20. Get anything that you can at your university and this will be great.

edit: When I mean anything I mean ecology, physics, whatever you feel like. Do not limit yourself to seeking out only opportunities for medical research

I understand your point. However, I would like to do research that I have more interest in. For example, since I am interested in PRS, that is why I wanted to research in that field. I feel like I would be more excited to do that, than just finding a lab but not enjoying the topic.
 
I did research on craniofacial genetics. Looking to do further clinical research in the area of cleft palates.