Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!
I applied to clinical psychology PhD programs this year and was pretty successful. Right now, I am holding an offer from school A and am the first alternate at school B. I don't know if I will get accepted into school B, but I'm struggling to decide which one I would attend if that happened.
I loved both schools, so either way, I will be ok! But I'm not sure what I should decide if I get a choice. Both schools are fully funded with reasonable stipends, I don't prefer either location over the other, etc. My only focus now is on the research.
I want a research focused career after I graduate. School A is more research focused, and the professor whose lab I would be in has a number of big grants. He seems like he would be an incredible mentor for a research career, both from talking with him and his current students. However, I am less interested in his specific lines of research than that at school B, but I do still think his research is very interested. I was fascinated by the research at school B, but the program is definitely less research focused and the professor I applied to work with has no grants (although she has had a lot in the past, she is just later in her career now and it seems to be lower priority). Most of her students seemed more focused on a clinical career, and although she would be supportive of a research career, it sounds like it would not be something I would be encouraged/pushed to focus on. I could focus on it, but it's not like at school A where projects and writing opportunities are apparently abundant and the professor pushes students to find opportunities.
Does anyone have any thoughts about what I should do if I have a choice? Right after leaving school B, I was thinking I needed to go there; I was so interested in the research and was thinking of a lot of ideas. But then after taking some time, I started thinking that despite my interest, going to work with a more research focused mentor who has much more research/manuscript writing/grant writing going on and who will push me to be as prepared as I can for a research career would be a better choice. Obviously there might not end up being a choice at all since I'm only accepted at school A, but I want to figure out if I should keep waiting as an alternate or go ahead an accept. Thanks for any suggestions!
I applied to clinical psychology PhD programs this year and was pretty successful. Right now, I am holding an offer from school A and am the first alternate at school B. I don't know if I will get accepted into school B, but I'm struggling to decide which one I would attend if that happened.
I loved both schools, so either way, I will be ok! But I'm not sure what I should decide if I get a choice. Both schools are fully funded with reasonable stipends, I don't prefer either location over the other, etc. My only focus now is on the research.
I want a research focused career after I graduate. School A is more research focused, and the professor whose lab I would be in has a number of big grants. He seems like he would be an incredible mentor for a research career, both from talking with him and his current students. However, I am less interested in his specific lines of research than that at school B, but I do still think his research is very interested. I was fascinated by the research at school B, but the program is definitely less research focused and the professor I applied to work with has no grants (although she has had a lot in the past, she is just later in her career now and it seems to be lower priority). Most of her students seemed more focused on a clinical career, and although she would be supportive of a research career, it sounds like it would not be something I would be encouraged/pushed to focus on. I could focus on it, but it's not like at school A where projects and writing opportunities are apparently abundant and the professor pushes students to find opportunities.
Does anyone have any thoughts about what I should do if I have a choice? Right after leaving school B, I was thinking I needed to go there; I was so interested in the research and was thinking of a lot of ideas. But then after taking some time, I started thinking that despite my interest, going to work with a more research focused mentor who has much more research/manuscript writing/grant writing going on and who will push me to be as prepared as I can for a research career would be a better choice. Obviously there might not end up being a choice at all since I'm only accepted at school A, but I want to figure out if I should keep waiting as an alternate or go ahead an accept. Thanks for any suggestions!