Research for anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

austinjschwab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I want to get into anesthesiology, should I be doing research in between my first and second years? I plan on shadowing, but finding a research project is not working out for me. Do you need research to match into anesthesiology?

Members don't see this ad.

If I want to get into anesthesiology, should I be doing research in between my first and second years? I plan on shadowing, but finding a research project is not working out for me. Do you need research to match into anesthesiology?

No, but it helps. Most people who successfully match in anesthesiology have at least one research experience, but a significant portion have no research experiences: http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf . Check out page 26.

If you know you want to do anesthesiology that's great and research in the field can always help. Keep in mind though that a lot of people don't know what field they want to go into when they are M1/M2's, thus research in general is probably still a plus (and would be beneficial when applying to any field of medicine).

In short, I don't think that your research project holds you to a specific specialty... it will help your application regardless. However, if you know you want anesthesia... it gives you a bit of a leg up on the process. I would say that even though good amount of people have research, it's definitely not always in the field of anesthesiology (mine wasn't... I didn't know I was going to do anesthesiology until my M3 year rotation).

agree with comments above. advice for finding research in anesthesia is this go to your school's anesthesia website and look up the faculty member, read their research interest and contact those you find interesting. If nothing sticks out then email a random faculty member and go with the flow. thats what i did.