Research for EM/Anesthesia CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedEM

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Tried to find a similar topic but found nothing. My question is how much research do I need to apply anesthesia cc and what do I do if I have no opportunity at my program?

I'm a pgy-1 and have discovered I really don't care for EM and am looking into anesthesia cc. I love the heart and honestly wish I had done surgery or anesthesia from the get go.

The problem is my program is a newish, very community oriented program with no cc research opportunities and no residents have gone on to do cc fellowships.

If anyone has been in this situation or has any ideas I would really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

No research needed. Every year, spots go unfilled. Check out the SF match website for positions that remain unfilled for starts this July, for instance. The match is next month, so you'll get to see a reminder that not many anesthesiologists go into CCM.

If you really wish you did anesthesia, it's not too late. I know a few that made the switch after a year or more in another specialty. You could always see if you can pick up an Advanced spot in next year's resident match.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Or you could just finish EM and go into IM critical care, which would open waaaay more doors than anesthesia-CCM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Or you could just finish EM and go into IM critical care, which would open waaaay more doors than anesthesia-CCM.

How's that? I like critical care, but I wanted a more hands on/procrdural approach that would train me for the medical and surgical icus.

Reactions: 1 user
How's that? I like critical care, but I wanted a more hands on/procrdural approach that would train me for the medical and surgical icus.
EM grads can do an either surgical or medical critical care fellowship AND sit for the respective boards afterwards. It's a great deal.

EM-CCM Fellowships (There are now more programs that accept EM graduates, beyond those listed.)

This is the ABEM page for critical care certification through an anesthesiology CCM fellowship, for example: https://www.abem.org/public/become-certified/subspecialties/anesthesiology-critical-care-medicine

This is IM-CCM:
https://www.abem.org/public/become-...es/internal-medicine---critical-care-medicine

Last edited by a moderator:

You will generally get more than enough bread and butter procedures in any CCM fellowship (IM/Surg/Anesthesia). Should come out drowning in lines, tubes, bronchs from most fellowships. Things like perc trachs, PEGs, TVPs, Swans, ICP bolts are program dependent and if any of these are important to you go to a place that will train their fellows to do them. My IM based CCM fellowship did a ton of trachs, pacers, and bolts, not enough swans as I would like but I don't think anyone does many of these anymore. I don't think you will be procedurally better trained in an anesthesia based fellowship. You may actually be at a slight disadvantage if you end up in a fellowship that is primarily in surgical ICUs as most jobs will involve management of a large portion of critically ill medical patients. There are fellowships out there that will leave you in surgical ICUs for your entire training - which is terrible!

Very important to find a fellowship that lets rotate through everything. Ideally you should be doing a balanced amount of medical, surgical, CV, neuro, trauma, +/- transplant - there are programs that offer this. After training you will be probably managing a lot of medical patients especially if you plan on working in a non-academic setting - in that sense perhaps an IM based CCM fellowship might be better. Will probably be easier to get into an anesthesia based fellowship though as theres some empty spots every year.

Reactions: 1 users