Research for General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrthoBro77

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm about to be an M2 at a very large, state DO school. I'm currently interested in general surgery and had a couple questions about research. I have no prior research experience and am very unfamiliar with the process. There are many opportunities for research within the school, but I was also contemplating getting involved with some local general surgery residences for research. I figured it would be a great way to make connections while completing research. I'm looking for any advice or guidance on which path to pursue, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you going to be doing core rotations at a place with a GS program? If so you gotta hit up their M&M or whatever they’ll allow students to attend and make friends. If you find interesting cases on rotations offer to write them up and submit posters that way. See if you can help with any projects they have going.

I would contact the programs associated with your school and see what projects the residents are doing. In my experience residents are busy so are usually more than happy to have a student help with projects.

If you can find original projects to help on that would be best, case reports are very low hanging fruit and not given much weight at all.